Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LexisNexis Reporting

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

LexisNexis Reporting

I was recently denied a CU membership due to LN reporting, so I ordered a copy of the report. Looking it over I suspect the offending piece of information is an unpaid lien, listed as 83 months old. 

Question: when is that supposed to come off? My research suggests most things come off within 5 years, but I couldn't find any definitive guidelines. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: LexisNexis Reporting

The statutory exclusion period for tax liens is no later than 7 years from the date paid.  See FCRA 605(a)(3).

The big-3 CRAs recently went thru settlement agreements pertaining to civil litigation wherein they agreed to remove tax liens that did not include sufficient identifying information,  such as DOD or address, and additionally implemented their own internal policy of removing all tax liens from their credit reports.

However, if your report is a Lexis-Nexis report rather than a report from a big-3 CRA that was based on information provided to it via Lexis-Nexis, neither recent policy regarding tax liens applies, and the normal period of 7 years from date paid still applies.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

The statutory exclusion period for tax liens is no later than 7 years from the date paid.  See FCRA 605(a)(3).

The big-3 CRAs recently went thru settlement agreements pertaining to civil litigation wherein they agreed to remove tax liens that did not include sufficient identifying information,  such as DOD or address, and additionally implemented their own internal policy of removing all tax liens from their credit reports.

However, if your report is a Lexis-Nexis report rather than a report from a big-3 CRA that was based on information provided to it via Lexis-Nexis, neither recent policy regarding tax liens applies, and the normal period of 7 years from date paid still applies.

Thank you. How can I apply that information to my situation?

Message 3 of 7
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous, is your lien still unpaid ? What type of lien is it? Tax or other? Is it showing still on your major CRA's?
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza1 wrote:
@Anonymous, is your lien still unpaid ? What type of lien is it? Tax or other? Is it showing still on your major CRA's?

It is unpaid from 83, now 84, months ago. Not on my credit reports. I was co-signer on a defaulted student loan. It is a long story how it came to be unpaid.

Message 5 of 7
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

It is unpaid from 83, now 84, months ago. Not on my credit reports. I was co-signer on a defaulted student loan. It is a long story how it came to be unpaid.

If its no longer on your reports, then you need to contact LN, and tell them to remove it telling them this isnt on your credit reports anywhere.  Once LN removes this from their system,  ask for a refreshed copy of the report for verification thats its no longer in LN datebase. 

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

If its no longer on your reports, then you need to contact LN, and tell them to remove it telling them this isnt on your credit reports anywhere.  Once LN removes this from their system,  ask for a refreshed copy of the report for verification thats its no longer in LN datebase. 

Thanks, I'll try this. Although I've been unable to find it written anywhere if they actually have to remove it.

I'll update with my success or failure.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.