Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical information Breach

tag
MySunrise271
Established Contributor

Medical information Breach

I went in for an outpatient procedure last November which required anesthesia. I just received a letter from the company who provide the anesthesia that sometime prior to Dec 14, due to a technical misconfiguration data may have been been acquired by an unauthorized individual that allowed the data to be publicly acesseed. By Jan 28 their investigation concluded my full name, medical procedure,date/ name and health insurance information and may have also included my birth date. My SS and credit/debit card (did not use any) was not exsposed.

I have put a fraud alert on my CRs, and I'm monitoring my health insurance for any suspicious claims I may not recognize, anything else I should do to as precaution to being a victim of some kind of idenity/medical fraud? I feel these companies are just trying to CYA and there should be more recourse for the consumer than just a year of free credit monitoring.

TIA

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Medical information Breach

If you haven't done so, perhaps a credit freeze on your reports?

@CreditInspired wrote:

Freeze your credit with Equifax, Experian and TransUnion

Credit BureauOnlineBy phoneBy mail
How to freeze your credit with EquifaxVisitEquifax Credit Freeze page1-800-685-1111 (NY residents call 1-800-349-9960)Equifax Security Freeze, P.O. Box 105788 Atlanta, GA 30348
Visit: Experian Credit Freeze page1-888-EXPERIAN (1-888-397-3742)Experian Security Freeze, P.O. Box 9554 Allen, TX 75013
How to freeze your credit with TransUnion Visit: TransUnion Credit Freeze page 1-888-909-8872TransUnion LLC, P.O. Box 2000
Chester, PA 19016

I found this on https://clark.com/credit/credit-freeze-and-thaw-guide/

Message 2 of 6
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Your insurance company didn't offer any identity monitoring service? This week I got a letter from my health insurance company Arizona Complete Health (Allwell) informing me that one of their "business partners" was hacked and a hacker "may" have obtained my name, address, DoB, Insurance Policy #, and my health information such as medical conditions & treatment. 

I keep all 3 credit reports locked with a service from each of them so I'm not too concerned as they (apparently) did not get my Social Security #, but Allwell did provide 1 year identity protection with a company called IDX. I signed up, not very impressed with IDX, but it's something.

And on the subject of medical care, whenever I go to a new medical provider they always ask for my Social Security #, and I always refuse to provide it, they don't need it and if you provide it it's just one more place that can leak it. 

Message 3 of 6
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Agree 100% on the social security issue!  I REFUSE to give it to medical providers.  The front desk people always come back with they need it to file an insurance claim.  My response is, "No, you don't.  You have all the information needed to file a claim.  If there is a problem, the insurance company and you will let me know."

It is sad how many places "require" your social security number and how many people give it without hesitation.

It is sad how many places (like the Federal Govt, medical providers, stores, credit card companies, etc) who are hacked and employees/patients/customers information is available for the taking.)  

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

SSN only needed with filing with the VA. All elsewhere, no need. This was changed something like 25 years ago to prevent Identity Theft. 

Even so, that's a HIPPA Breach and they may be liable. 

Identity Theft: and often it's months later when your guard may be back down that they do something. Put verbal passcodes on all your FI accounts. Watch your CR's for New Accounts weekly. Use 

http://www.annualcreditreport.com/ to be sure. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Message 5 of 6
MySunrise271
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

SSN only needed with filing with the VA. All elsewhere, no need. This was changed something like 25 years ago to prevent Identity Theft. 

Even so, that's a HIPPA Breach and they may be liable. 

Identity Theft: and often it's months later when your guard may be back down that they do something. Put verbal passcodes on all your FI accounts. Watch your CR's for New Accounts weekly. Use 

http://www.annualcreditreport.com/ to be sure. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Thanks, will take the additional safeguards.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.