Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merchant and Bank Harassment →

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Merchant and Bank Harassment →

Merchant and Bank Harassment → I ordered a product from an overseas country, but the seller didn't send me the product that I ordered.

Seller has stopped contacting me whenever I write emails to him the seller doesnt responds.

→ when I am asking seller to pay me the return shipping fee he is not replying.

Please understand my situation. I paid seller in advance the Product Fee + The Shipping Fee, and he send me the wrong product, but now when I am asking him to pay the return shipping fee he has stopped replying.

The return shipinng fee is more than 200% the Cost of the Product + the cost of the shipping fee that I paid to the merchant.

When Now I am asking my CITIBank to initiate a dispute they are again harassing me by stating this →

While, we have taken cognizance of your inability to return the product due to high shipment charges, we regret our inability to initiate a dispute, as the proof of returning the product is a mandatory requirement as per the association guidelines.

I researched over the entire internet and I couldn't find any such rigid guidelines that forces me as a customer to bear the return shipping fee despite the fact that it is the merchants fault that he has delivered the wrong product.

By what logic should I bear the return shipping losses which are very hefty as explained above. The agreements are always two sided and also the agreement are conditionals. → If i had the ordered the product and the correct product was delivered and in that case If I would have made the mind to return then the return shipping should have been my liability, but here it is sellers fault that he send the wrong product. He is not even replying - Isn't this a e-commerce Fraud commmited by the seller?

This way no one will shop online and entire online shopping will collapse if the sellers has this kind of behaviour. I am sure no agreement is one sided that can harass the customer when they have no fault. Please guide me.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Merchant and Bank Harassment →

How heavy is it, what country?  If it's 200 pounds and you bought it from China than I could see it.  Either way sounds like their return policy was clearly spelled out when you bought.  Why not buy stateside next time?  This seems like a not reputable merchant.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thankyou so much for replying. I am based in India and the merchant is based in UK.

Actually my concern is clauses/guidliness, agreement are double implied that means they can't just be favoring customers or they just can't be favoring sellers, in short agreements should have a mutual binding.

Imagine a world where we are ordering something online and the seller is sending something else and then banks come up with a rigid guidelines that according to them states that →

"we regret our inability to initiate a dispute, as the proof of returning the product is a mandatory requirement as per the association guidelines"

No clause, guidelines or Book of instructions is exact, but the clause are dependent on the information and conditions. If Condition X is true then the clause Y is applicable.

For example → If it is a clause that eating is not permitted in New York Metro trains, but if someone reproduce it and says =

eating is not permited in that case this clause will look non-sensical; what I am trying to emphasize is that clauses always have conditions they can be generic and always true else they will defy themselves.

Similarly here in my case when the Citibank is continuously harassing me by writing this statement =

"we regret our inability to initiate a dispute, as the proof of returning the product is a mandatory requirement as per the association guidelines"

They are generalizing everything. The above clause could be true If I order product X and the product X is delivered in that case ofcourse If I change my mind not to use the product then it will be my responsibility to ship it back at my expense, but here the case is different here the seller has shipped the wrong product and that too when I paid him the product fee and the shipping fee in advance, but the he shipped the wrong product. I am 100% confident there can't be any association guidelines that can be biased towards merchants and harass customers. If that was true who would trust Visa and mastercard in the world.

My Credit Card is a Visa Credit Card, but it was issued by Citibank India.

The cost of the product + shipment was 105$, but the retrun shippong with gthe Indian Custom clearence comes out to be hefty = 220$ (It is the Custom clearence that is the most expensive and is about 40% of the 220$USD amount).

@Anonymous wrote:

How heavy is it, what country?  If it's 200 pounds and you bought it from China than I could see it.  Either way sounds like their return policy was clearly spelled out when you bought.  Why not buy stateside next time?  This seems like a not reputable merchant.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I see that sucks.  Can you sell it new in box in india and recoup your losses?  Sounds like citibank doesn't want to help and the seller is hiding his head in the sand.  I know with ebay they almost always side with the buyer, but if you bought it on a third party site controled by the seller idk.  Hopefully someone with more experience knows something.  Have you tried getting citibank on the phone?

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I see that sucks.  Can you sell it new in box in india and recoup your losses?  Sounds like citibank doesn't want to help and the seller is hiding his head in the sand.  I know with ebay they almost always side with the buyer, but if you bought it on a third party site controled by the seller idk.  Hopefully someone with more experience knows something.  Have you tried getting citibank on the phone?

Itss not just about the moneey sir, but question of our value system. I am fighting becasue I am right.

The intermediate agency is Paypal and they closed the dispute in the sellers favor. I have also written to Visa people, and I am waiting a reply from them.

In United states of America the disputes can be raised in 180 days from the date of Purchase, but in india it is 120 days as informed by CITIBank over the phone.

what I petsonally feel is although I asked CITIbank to raise the dispute within 53 days from the date of purchase, but CITIbank, India wasted all these days in my harassment, and now since 120 days have passed CITIbank higher escalation departments are trying to cover their ass by harassing me.

Additionally,

I also feel that this 120 day information may be wrong as these time frame such as 180 days etc are set by Visa and master card, etc so these time frames should be globally acceptable.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Honchos!  I am sure I can speak for everyone when I say that we sympathize, and we think it must feel really unfair to be in this situation.

So please hear me clearly when I say that in that sense we are on your side, nobody is blaming you, etc.

That said, can you clarify whether you have paid this credit card bill?  For example, are you arguing to Citibank that this is a bill you shouldn't have to pay (for all the various reasons you have given) and therefore the bill remains unpaid on your card? 

If so, I encourage you to make sure you act in your own interest, which is to be really careful when you get in fights with a huge corporation over a bill (based on your perception of being on the Moral High Ground).  Here is a recent story in which a guy began arguing with Citi over a $300 bill.  He now owes lawyers and others over $100,000 and will likely go into further debt on this:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-in-the-News/Citibank-fight-over-300-costs-a-Consumer-100k/td-...

I am also slightly confused by your use of the word "harass" which you are using in connection with Citibank's actions towards you.  I.e. that they are repeatedly harassing you over this.  It seems like it's the other way around.  They would prefer not to keep talking about it.  You, by way of contrast, are the one who is repeatedly going to them and asking that they do something about it.  If anybody is harassing it is you who are harassing Citibank (Webster describes this as "to annoy persistently.").

Don't get me wrong; you are probably morally right to be persistently annoying them!  But it just struck me as a strange word to use in this context.  For example, a common example is to say that collection agencies harass the people they are trying to collect debts from -- by repeatedly calling them when the debtor doesn't want to talk about it.  Citi would like the discussion to be over; you are the one who wants it brought up again.

A useful habit in these situations is to distinguish in your mind the issues of being morally right (in the sense of fairness, companies ought not to ship stuff you didn't pay for, etc.) vs. coolly acting in your best interest (which involves calmly assessing what steps on your part are most likely to make you happy -- or least unhappy).  Already you can see that you have suffered anger, disappointment, and lots of wasted time on the phone or sending internet messages.  The question is how much the shipping fee is worth to you to do more of that.  (Also to carefully assess other downsides: Citi could cancel your card, they might begin assessing fees if the amount is unpaid, etc.)

That said, a perfectly reasonable thing to do is (while remaining friendly and civil with Citi, thanking them for their time, etc.) to ask them if they can direct you to some documention of the association guidelines they are referencing).

Wishing you the very best of luck....

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

PS.  I wrote my response to you (above) before I saw your last couple posts.

I am now more convinced than ever that you are at grave risk of ending up like that guy I sent you a story about.  This is a big corporation you are fighting with.  It sounds like you are at risk of having your credit damaged and perhaps far worse, all over a comparatively small bill that you feel you are Morally Right about.

The fact that you feel you were right may be of little consolation in a year if you have wasted huge amounts of time and money fighting and have a sharply damaged credit report.

Please be careful to act in your own interest moving forward.

Again... very best wishes...

Message 7 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Did your dispute clearly invoke the provisions of the Fair Credit Billing Act, which applies to dispute of credit card billing issues,  or the Mail or Telephone Order Merchandise Rule, which governs mail order transactions?

Both are federal requirments and dispute procedures that are regulated by the FTC.

I sugges that you visit ftc.gov or call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357); TTY: 1-866-653-4261 to get information from the Consumer Affairs Division of the FTC Bureau of Consumer Protection.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for the Input. I always pay CITIbank in time. In last 9 years I have never been a defaulter to Citibank, not even for a single day. I have also cleared my latest dues that includes the charges incurred by that merchant. Thanks!

@Anonymous wrote:

PS.  I wrote my response to you (above) before I saw your last couple posts.

I am now more convinced than ever that you are at grave risk of ending up like that guy I sent you a story about.  This is a big corporation you are fighting with.  It sounds like you are at risk of having your credit damaged and perhaps far worse, all over a comparatively small bill that you feel you are Morally Right about.

The fact that you feel you were right may be of little consolation in a year if you have wasted huge amounts of time and money fighting and have a sharply damaged credit report.

Please be careful to act in your own interest moving forward.

Again... very best wishes...

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

Did your dispute clearly invoke the provisions of the Fair Credit Billing Act, which applies to dispute of credit card billing issues,  or the Mail or Telephone Order Merchandise Rule, which governs mail order transactions?

Both are federal requirments and dispute procedures that are regulated by the FTC.

I sugges that you visit ftc.gov or call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357); TTY: 1-866-653-4261 to get information from the Consumer Affairs Division of the FTC Bureau of Consumer Protection.

Sir,

I just googled  Fair Credit Billing Act,, but I think this is applicable to USA only and I am based in India.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.