Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal credit score vs FICO 8

tag
W261w261
Frequent Contributor

Navy Federal credit score vs FICO 8

Although FICO scoring on here has been sliced and diced extensively, I can't find much on Navy. Recently I asked for a 5k increase on my 5k Navy Visa Sig, granted. A couple of days later, apped for the More Rewards, approved but at 2.1k. "Kind of low" I thought. Then I read the letter. My Navy score is 282. Whoa. My F8 is 740. I do have some dirty laundry (waiting for 2025 to have a paid CO fall off). My income is 100+, and my DTI, while sometimes not zero, is never above 8%. I have a SSL, checking, and savings accounts with Navy.

So it seems that Navy is scoring something to my detriment that doesn't bother FICO as much. I wonder what it could be? BTW, member for about 18 mos. I just started direct deposit with them, to get the extra .25% on the More Rewards, but also to nudge my score higher.

Any suggestions on the disparity between the two scores? Thx. 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Navy Federal credit score vs FICO 8

There is no comparison to FICO 8 or any other FICO model.  NFCUs internal score has a max of 450 (IIRC).  So 282 is pretty decent.

We don't know which factors are weighed (nor how heavily) for their internal score. Did your letter list any reason codes?  Aside from the CO - do you perhaps have a few new accounts/inquiries?  I know a lack of direct deposits have been given as reason codes to others in the past - so starting DD may be beneficial for you.  

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 17
W261w261
Frequent Contributor

I have no idea actually, but sort of intuitively feel that a 282 is "barely decent." I would think that, in general, a CU, going to the trouble of creating its own scoring system, would make it more directly related to its own experience with a particular customer. But that's just a guess.

Has Navy ever indicated some scoring parameters, such as x% of scores are above a certain amount? Also, I gather the only way to see your score is to request a CLI or app for a card. Is this correct? 

Message 3 of 17
thornback
Senior Contributor

@W261w261 wrote:

would make it more directly related to its own experience with a particular customer. But that's just a guess. 

I agree - but I also believe standard scoring factors would apply and that a member's external history would warrant some consideration. 

I think a score of ~350ish is the highest I've seen posted on the forum and that was for a fairly new Navy member with a clean, aged credit profile so... i think relationship with Navy may be the final chunk that gets you to 450, but your overall credit profile is the foundation; if it weren't, then new members wouldn't even have a score.

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 4 of 17
thornback
Senior Contributor

@W261w261 wrote:

Has Navy ever indicated some scoring parameters, such as x% of scores are above a certain amount?

No...  but posters with scires on 250-280 range that have spoken to UW have said they were told they have a "good" score.

@W261w261 wrote:

Also, I gather the only way to see your score is to request a CLI or app for a card. Is this correct? 

In the past, they only provided your score for denials or CLIs approved for less than the requested amount.   Not sure if it still works this way... 

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 5 of 17
moto4man
Regular Contributor

@W261w261 wrote:

I have no idea actually, but sort of intuitively feel that a 282 is "barely decent." I would think that, in general, a CU, going to the trouble of creating its own scoring system, would make it more directly related to its own experience with a particular customer. But that's just a guess.

Has Navy ever indicated some scoring parameters, such as x% of scores are above a certain amount? Also, I gather the only way to see your score is to request a CLI or app for a card. Is this correct? 

Short answer, but very accurate is a big NO.   Probably one of the more discussed issues surrounding NFCU.

Starting Score: 547EX
Current Score: 682EX 687EQ 687TU
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 17
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@W261w261 wrote:

Although FICO scoring on here has been sliced and diced extensively, I can't find much on Navy. Recently I asked for a 5k increase on my 5k Navy Visa Sig, granted. A couple of days later, apped for the More Rewards, approved but at 2.1k. "Kind of low" I thought. Then I read the letter. My Navy score is 282. Whoa. My F8 is 740. I do have some dirty laundry (waiting for 2025 to have a paid CO fall off). My income is 100+, and my DTI, while sometimes not zero, is never above 8%. I have a SSL, checking, and savings accounts with Navy.

So it seems that Navy is scoring something to my detriment that doesn't bother FICO as much. I wonder what it could be? BTW, member for about 18 mos. I just started direct deposit with them, to get the extra .25% on the More Rewards, but also to nudge my score higher.

Any suggestions on the disparity between the two scores? Thx. 

Yes, I wouldn't worry about something you can't controlSmiley Wink. You can do things to better ones fico score  but you can't do anything to better ones internal score as it's their receipt for lending . Just make payments on time and utilize what they give. Money won buy  credit with Navy but time and history will get you there imho. . 

Message 7 of 17
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@thornback wrote:

@W261w261 wrote:

would make it more directly related to its own experience with a particular customer. But that's just a guess. 

I agree - but I also believe standard scoring factors would apply and that a member's external history would warrant some consideration. 

I think a score of ~350ish is the highest I've seen posted on the forum and that was for a fairly new Navy member with a clean, aged credit profile so... i think relationship with Navy may be the final chunk that gets you to 450, but your overall credit profile is the foundation; if it weren't, then new members wouldn't even have a score.

I think this score is overblown. We see members with sub 300 scores getting 25k limits whereas others in 400s not getting such high limits. I like to look t Navy as a true build that "relationship " as often times the more history you create with time, payments, and usage, they often give more. Again just my humble viewSmiley Wink

Message 8 of 17
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@thornback wrote:

@W261w261 wrote:

Has Navy ever indicated some scoring parameters, such as x% of scores are above a certain amount?

No...  but posters with scires on 250-280 range that have spoken to UW have said they were told they have a "good" score.

@W261w261 wrote:

Also, I gather the only way to see your score is to request a CLI or app for a card. Is this correct? 

In the past, they only provided your score for denials or CLIs approved for less than the requested amount.   Not sure if it still works this way... 

Yes, I actually believe 280-300 are a good score. Done quite well myself on those scores lol

Message 9 of 17
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@thornback wrote:

@W261w261 wrote:

@W261w261 wrote:

I was approved for the cash rewards back in december and they gave me my navy score, it was 297.

To show how crazy this internal score is i have a bk7 on my reports and low income, i had a checking/savings with them for 6 months with a low balance. head scratcher

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.