Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opting out

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Opting out

Is it true that if I opt out with CRAs it will make it harder for CAs or junk debt collectors to find me? How about removing old addresses?
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Opting out

@Anonymouswrote:
Is it true that if I opt out with CRAs it will make it harder for CAs or junk debt collectors to find me? How about removing old addresses?

Opt out of what? You can opt out of receiving offers. But there is no opting out of putting info on your CRA. Debt collectors will still be able to find you unless you go completely off the grid. 

Message 2 of 4
Miner
Frequent Contributor

It's really hard to fall completely off the grid unless you have no open accounts, and are living with someone else where you didn't have to apply for a lease or mortgage in your name or your spouses.  Cap 1 never sued me because the only address they had was a PO Box where I had all my mail forwarded to when everything fell appart and I didn't have my own place in my name for almost 5 years so I was past the SOL when I emerged from my creditless cave.  Once I got an apartment in my name, it's funny how fast other bad accounts except Cap1 found me.  In fact Cap 1 never found me and continued to send stuff to that old PO Box long after I abandoned it.  I had to contact them when I was ready to settle so I don't think they tried very hard after the SOL for sueing ran out.

If you have any open accounts, they will update the CRAs with your current address which any collector has a right to access for the sake of collecting for a debt.  And you can go online and easily find contact information for people who are associated with you, even if indirectly, such as my brother's ex-wife; why they called me about her debts one time I still have no clue.  She wasn't even hidding so makes me think it was more harrassment to embarrass her.

Current FICO8: EQ:782, TU:754, EX:767 | 1x 30 day late 6yrs ago
AAoA: 10 years; AAoOA: 13 months; Credit Length: 21 years
INQ Eq: 3 / Tu: 5 (4 for auto) / Ex: 9 (5 for auto)
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The FCRA provides a special service to creditors that enables them to submit criteria to a CRA and obtain a screening against consumer creidt files that identifies only those consumers who meet the preset criteria.

If a consumer wishes to be excluded from having their names provided in such a listing, that is what the Opt Out notification under the FCRA is for.

Debt collectors dont offer new credit to consumers, and dont submit requests for listings of consumers for that purpose.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.