cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question! How Long Inactivity Of Credit Card Before....?

tag
Rogue46
Established Contributor

Re: Question! How Long Inactivity Of Credit Card Before....?

I do alot of shopping through Amazon so I came up with a plan recently to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I  add my cards to Amazon and each month move $5 or so over to my Amazon account until I need to order something.

I haven't tried it yet but in theory it sounds like the easiest way to accomplish what I need. 

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rogue46 wrote:

I do alot of shopping through Amazon so I came up with a plan recently to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I  add my cards to Amazon and each month move $5 or so over to my Amazon account until I need to order something.

I haven't tried it yet but in theory it sounds like the easiest way to accomplish what I need. 

Good to see that you have discovered the Amazon technique.  Lots of people do exactly what you describe, though again using a card every month is not really needed.  Once every six months is fine for most major cards.

Message 12 of 18
Rogue46
Established Contributor

And I thought I stumbled onto a novel idea!  Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citibank says 24 months
Message 14 of 18
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I find an easy way is every 4 months, pick a day and do some internet shoppingSmiley Wink. A purchase here a purchase there, works like a charm. Doesnt have to be expensive. Use one as your every day and later on you can mix it up.
Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Citibank says 24 months

I am curious... where does Citibank say this?  Do you have a link?

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I always recommend the self-checkout method to get swipes in on SD cards.  Once every 4-6 months take all of your SD cards with you to the grocery store, Home Depot, Target, wherever there is a self-checkout.  When you go to pay, start with your SD cards.  When it shows you the total balance (say you're spending $80) adjust that down to (say) $5 and swipe the first card.  Repeat for the second, third or however many cards you have.  Swipe your final non-SD card that you would have normally used for the purchase for the remaining balance.

This is super quick (maybe 10-15 seconds per card), no cashier gives you a funny look and best of all, you're not using your SD cards for purchases that you wouldn't have otherwise made.

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CGID: someone at one of the executive numbers that I got off of this forum advised me of the 24 month timeframe. I was trying to PC my simplicity and so he told me how often I had to use it to keep it from getting closed.
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.