cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question! How Long Inactivity Of Credit Card Before....?

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Regular Contributor

Re: Question! How Long Inactivity Of Credit Card Before....?

I do alot of shopping through Amazon so I came up with a plan recently to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I  add my cards to Amazon and each month move $5 or so over to my Amazon account until I need to order something.

I haven't tried it yet but in theory it sounds like the easiest way to accomplish what I need. 

Message 11 of 18
Super Contributor

@Rogue46 wrote:

I do alot of shopping through Amazon so I came up with a plan recently to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I  add my cards to Amazon and each month move $5 or so over to my Amazon account until I need to order something.

I haven't tried it yet but in theory it sounds like the easiest way to accomplish what I need. 

Good to see that you have discovered the Amazon technique.  Lots of people do exactly what you describe, though again using a card every month is not really needed.  Once every six months is fine for most major cards.

Message 12 of 18
Regular Contributor

And I thought I stumbled onto a novel idea!  Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 18
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Citibank says 24 months

Installment loan reported this month,so technically, I'm at 2 months, but AoYA points were NOT reset. When new CCs hit and it is reset, I'll put the number it is.(Forgive typos, mobile.)(Everything said is Just IMHO.)
Scores updated AUG 4, '19.

You can see the score changes 2 months after adding 6 cards, 5 reported.

(Forgive typos, mobile.)(Everything said is Just IMHO.)
Scores updated OCT'19.
Message 14 of 18
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I find an easy way is every 4 months, pick a day and do some internet shoppingSmiley Wink. A purchase here a purchase there, works like a charm. Doesnt have to be expensive. Use one as your every day and later on you can mix it up.
#ChaseCreditCardHobby Enthusiast
!
Message 15 of 18
Super Contributor

@Birdman7 wrote:
Citibank says 24 months

I am curious... where does Citibank say this?  Do you have a link?

Message 16 of 18
Super Contributor

I always recommend the self-checkout method to get swipes in on SD cards.  Once every 4-6 months take all of your SD cards with you to the grocery store, Home Depot, Target, wherever there is a self-checkout.  When you go to pay, start with your SD cards.  When it shows you the total balance (say you're spending $80) adjust that down to (say) $5 and swipe the first card.  Repeat for the second, third or however many cards you have.  Swipe your final non-SD card that you would have normally used for the purchase for the remaining balance.

This is super quick (maybe 10-15 seconds per card), no cashier gives you a funny look and best of all, you're not using your SD cards for purchases that you wouldn't have otherwise made.

Message 17 of 18
Valued Contributor

@CGID: someone at one of the executive numbers that I got off of this forum advised me of the 24 month timeframe. I was trying to PC my simplicity and so he told me how often I had to use it to keep it from getting closed.

Installment loan reported this month,so technically, I'm at 2 months, but AoYA points were NOT reset. When new CCs hit and it is reset, I'll put the number it is.(Forgive typos, mobile.)(Everything said is Just IMHO.)
Scores updated AUG 4, '19.

You can see the score changes 2 months after adding 6 cards, 5 reported.

(Forgive typos, mobile.)(Everything said is Just IMHO.)
Scores updated OCT'19.
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.