cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone used my debit card for a large purchase!

tag
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Re: Someone used my debit card for a large purchase!

Good idea, I’ll make sure I send that CMRR letter today with the police report, and personal statment along with phone calls from the CU.

I called the CU but my “case manager” went to lunch... then I was told to leave her a message and she will get back to me eventually... I hope by the end of the day, as they haven’t even given me provisional credit cause the merchant disagrees.

I HAVE NEVER BEEN TO FL let alone gotten a DL from there ... smh
Message 11 of 48
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

I also just emailed her since I got her email from the Docusign packet they sent me.
Message 12 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditplzthe nightmare for using Debit Cards and where was your bank's brain on not red flagging such a transaction and virtually no verification? Don't know how you are keeping your cool! Would want the President's BUTT!!! They owe you big time! Smiley Mad

Message 13 of 48
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

They just responded;

Hello OP,

At this time we have reached out to this vendor for additional information on this purchase. Once they respond we will be moving forward with your claim.

...... seriously the most incompetent absolutely non reassuring response! This is not $500 or even $1500!!
Message 14 of 48
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

It’s been 1 week since I reported it, am I just in limbo till the merchant decides to offer up new info?!
Message 15 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Somethings fishy here... No bank or CU should ever allow a charge that large on a debit card without verifying the transaction with the account holder. It doesn’t matter if it’s run as debit or credit, if it’s a debit card any responsible FI has limits imposed. 

I would be about at the point of talking to a lawyer. 

Message 16 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Somethings fishy here... No bank or CU should ever allow a charge that large on a debit card without verifying the transaction with the account holder. It doesn’t matter if it’s run as debit or credit, if it’s a debit card any responsible FI has limits imposed. 

As I already said it appears   either the merchant or bank had an inside person.      Also makes me wonder if they had an "id" if credit file was  compromised.   Getting  debit card info and the making a fake id pretty bold.  I get alerts for any large purchases they should have done that also

Message 17 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

As I already said it appears   either the merchant or bank had an inside person.      Also makes me wonder if they had an "id" if credit file was  compromised.   Getting  debit card info and the making a fake id pretty bold.  I get alerts for any large purchases they should have done that also

Yeah and it doesn’t help that their electronic funds transfer disclosure not only doesn’t specify limits on debit card transactions but rather says that you receive that information with the debit card, it also says that they will raise the limit without notice. 

My bank caps debit transactions at $5K a day and I know from experience that getting them to lift it temporarily takes a phone call to them, a security verification on the account, then they hang up and call you back to verify that you are calling from your phone number on the account, verify security again and then the lift is put in for exactly 24 hours before being returned to $5K. 

Message 18 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

After the way the bank has handled this if /when you get your money back IMO its time to look for a new bank.   Some thing about runnng a large debit card transaction just rubs me wrong. Bank should have done more   I am very fond of  text alerts and 2 step verifi.  

Message 19 of 48
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Everyone knocks Chase, but I had 2 things happen that will make me keep them around even if they're not my primary.

Went to a GameStop in an area I no longer frequented. Even though it was about 3 miles from my house, since it had been years since I was in that area, my charge for $275 was declined. I got a text, email, and a phone call to verify it was me, all while I was in line.

Another instance, I had lost a checkbook and somebody cashed a $1000 check at a liqour store. I got a text notification and called in. They reversed the charge immediately, closed the account, opened a new one, and transferred everything over including bill pay in about 5 mins. My only beef in this case was when the check was scanned in, there was no name or signature, just the amount. Being that I worked for Chase, I knew the computers only looked for that info, but I think it's ridiculous that a check could still go through with everything else blank. Regardless, I still have that account on the back burner for the last 6 or 7 years and I may move everything back to it and close my credit union account.

Message 20 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.