Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surprise Check from Transunion

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Surprise Check from Transunion

Got a check today in snail mail, purportedly from Transunion Redress Administrator, Faribault, MN. It says they have consulted with CFPB (Consumer Financial Protection Bureau) and while they neither "deny or admit" any of the CFPB's findings, they're making "certain adjustments" and refunding certain portions of the TU subscription.

Here is part of transcript:

"Why are you getting this money? You had a subscription agreement with us between July 21, 2011 and January 2, 2017. You canceled after the trial period - but still within only two billing cycles from when you enrolled. You may not have understood the charges so you're getting money. The amount of your check represents $4.95 for the credit score, plus 85% of the subscription amount you paid if you enrolled in a subscription program. Your check is attached at the bottom of this letter"...

Before depositing the check in my bank account (not sure what that implies, like waiving my rights for other suits, etc), wanted to check with others here if any of you had similar experience?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Surprise Check from Transunion

@Anonymouswrote:

Got a check today in snail mail, purportedly from Transunion Redress Administrator, Faribault, MN. It says they have consulted with CFPB (Consumer Financial Protection Bureau) and while they neither "deny or admit" any of the CFPB's findings, they're making "certain adjustments" and refunding certain portions of the TU subscription.

Here is part of transcript:

"Why are you getting this money? You had a subscription agreement with us between July 21, 2011 and January 2, 2017. You canceled after the trial period - but still within only two billing cycles from when you enrolled. You may not have understood the charges so you're getting money. The amount of your check represents $4.95 for the credit score, plus 85% of the subscription amount you paid if you enrolled in a subscription program. Your check is attached at the bottom of this letter"...

Before depositing the check in my bank account (not sure what that implies, like waiving my rights for other suits, etc), wanted to check with others here if any of you had similar experience?

That's a settlement check from a class-action lawsuit. At some point you should have received an electronic (email) or paper notice of how to opt-in or opt-out. Sounds like it may have gone to your spam folder and gone unseen. In any event, you have been included in the class as described. You could argue that you never wanted to join the class and wish to file your own lawsuit. However, that's not likely to be successful. Further, the statute of limitations for providing TU notice of intent to sue has almost certainly expired. Even if you could be excluded and the statute of limitations has not run, are you eager to find an attorney or team of attorneys to litigate with TU over this matter? 

Deposit it or cash the check, and don't worry about it.  My 2-cents.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

FWIW: Whenever I receive an unexpected check I toss it. Not worth the problems of I.D. theft if it was a scam. The other party will have potentially your signature, bank info, DL#, confirmed your name, and address for less than $5.00. It is a trick that some collection agencies use to get bank info for garnishments. Send the debtor a $20 check and presto garnish $1000!

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

FWIW: Whenever I receive an unexpected check I toss it. Not worth the problems of I.D. theft if it was a scam. The other party will have potentially your signature, bank info, DL#, confirmed your name, and address for less than $5.00. It is a trick that some collection agencies use to get bank info for garnishments. Send the debtor a $20 check and presto garnish $1000!

Valid point but I double checked the letter also the website http://transunionredress.com/ mentions the CFPB related case. 

Message 4 of 7
ls2016
Frequent Contributor

I received the same $4.95 check from TU with the same language included. But that was a couple of days ago. I don't even know what I did with the letter/check. But, I will cash it when I find it. Smiley Happy
Current FICO 8s: Ex 768, Tu 741, Eq 741
Current FICO 9s: Ex 775, Tu ?? Eq 781
Total TLs: $120,000
8 (30-60 day) mortgage lates and 2 (30 day) auto lates remain from Jan., Feb. 2016
Current Mortgage Ex. Fico 2 787
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I received this check also none ever replied to the post... figured I wasn't alone. Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 7
pip3man
Valued Contributor

soon as i got the check deposited the free cash. im not even complaining and yes it's legit

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.