Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two quick dispute questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two quick dispute questions

1st- can a negative account that was a charge off show the balance and charge off amount to be one amount and listing a past due amount to be different? EQ is listing an account showing both balance owed and charge off amount to be $185.00 and amount owed at just $25.00

2nd - My Eq report is showing some old charge off's reporting payment histories that arent correct-example, i have an old AMEX that was DOFD 04/12 but its showing that i was in 'paid or paying agreed- green status ' every month till last month except for random months listed as ' CO'- can i dispute this for removal based on incorrect info being reported? i never made a payment on that account since 2012. I have a number of older negatives reporting this kind of history.

Thanks alot in advance for any input!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Two quick dispute questions

Any inaccuracy in reporting can be the basis for a dispute.

However, the post apparently assumes that any findng of inaccurate reporting is basis for removal of the entire account.

A dispute must identify the specific inaccuracy.  An assertion of inaccurate reporting only requires deletion if it cannot either be verified as accurate as reported, or corrected so as to overcome the asserted inaccuracy.  

A dispute is limited to the verification, correction, or if neither can be done, the deletion of the information under dispute.  Deletion does not extend to information not subject to the dispute or to the entire account.

Inaccuracies in balances or montly delinquencies will not require deletion of the entire account or of any information other than that under dispute. 

In the case of balance amounts and accuracy of reported delinquencies, the dispute will normally substantiate the inaccuracy by showing what the accurate reporting should be, thus resulting in correction to the asserted value rather than any deletion.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much for that info. So, all that will happen is probably an update of any inaccuracies, not the deletion due to incorrect info i was hoping for. These are all outside of SOL for any kind of collection (not reporting ) but i think I’ll let things be, for now. Thanks again :-)
Message 3 of 4
ocdcreditmonkey
Valued Member

That is not necessarily true. If they have been reporting recent payments in order to re-age an account so it will keep reporting longer (because making payments on some accounts can reset the clock) then when you dispute the inaccuracies the time since last activity will change back. If enough time has passed on the account it may be deleted anyway. I know this doesn't always apply, but a while back my husband had 2 situations like this and after it was reported correctly the accounts aged off. Something to consider anyway. I think you should always dispute all inaccuracies because you never know when it might matter down the line. Also, if they don't respond it could get corrected and maybe even deleted just for that. It certainly won't hurt to dispute.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.