cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo, missed payment by 7 days after due date?

tag
desertrose841
Established Member

Wells Fargo, missed payment by 7 days after due date?

So... let me take a breath..

I have paid of 5 credit cards in the last 2 weeks. And forgot my Wells Fargo was due on Oct 2! Today, when I log into my account, it says payment is 1 day late. HUH? One day late when it was due on the second? But today is the 9th? 

So i call them. And the lady says my due date was Oct 2. I know that, but the billing cycle finished on Oct 8. That's why the one day late on Oct 9!

I asked will this be reported to the 3 bureaus. She says yes. OF course I paid today, (OCt 9) 

How will this be reported if I was only 7 days late???? I am so mad that I missed a payment. I am rebuilding right now and cannot afford this.

I have read different things online of when WF reports to the 3B. Please advise. 

Thank you all.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

Re: Wells Fargo, missed payment by 7 days after due date?

I'll be surprised if they do report it. Normally is 30 days past due. If they do, you can dispute 7 days claiming as 30 days! But perhaps CS was not as informed as they usually are... However this could prevent you from CLIs for next few months.

Also auto pay is your best friend.

Message 2 of 8
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Your internal records with reflect the late but your CRs will not.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, try calling back and speaking with someone else. I always thought the payment was due on the "payment due date". You should clarify this point.
As @CYBERSAM mentioned auto pay is your best friend. My credit scores would be terrible if I had to put a check in the mail like my grandma used to do. Anyway, what I do is to set up auto pay with a partial payment mid cycle and once I get the bill I pay the rest off online -I use a cell phone reminder for this larger payment. This way, if I forget at least I'm not late internally with the creditor or a reportable 30 day late. 

Message 4 of 8
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Less than 30 days will only be reported internally. Consider setting up autopay, or set reminders.

That will most likely prevent CLI for awhile. WF is a very conservative bank.

Message 5 of 8
sxa001
Valued Contributor

As others have said, the only impact of this might be getting CLIs in the near term.

I highly suggest doing the auto-pay.  I often set it up, even though I log into most of my accounts weekly, I don't want to risk the chance that something happens and I am not able to do that, and I have missed two payments because of lack of auto-pay in the last few years (and now have auto-pay on those).  Luckily both times I caught the missed payment the day or two after it was due and the CSR wavied the late fees.  One was Chase and the other was AMEX.  

Message 6 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The official and published policy of each of the big-3 CRAs, as clearly stated in their common credit reporting manual, the Credit Reporting Resource Guide, is that a late payment does not become reportable to the CRAs until it has reached 30 days past the billing due date.

That is clearly stated at several  points in the manual, and is not open to any controversy.  The phone rep you spoke to was incorrect.

Yes, the creditor can hold late payments against you for internal purposes, such as CLI reviews, assessment of late charges, or closure of the account, but they cant report to the CRAs, and thus cannot make that info available to others or affect your credit score.

Should it be reported, which is highly unlikely, just file a dispute providing the last bill, providing the billing due date, along with evidence of date paid, and it would be removed as improper.

Message 7 of 8
JustJay119
Regular Contributor

Yeh sorry to hear about your missed payment but it should not report to credit bureaus. My current credit card now with a credit union has been paid late once or twice because I forgot. The credit union was really cool because they saw the money was in my account and didn't charge any fees.
auto pay auto pay auto pay! 

Current

AU

Banking

Scores 10/15/21
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.