cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo propel doesn't work with Google pay?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wells Fargo propel doesn't work with Google pay?

I just received my propel card (yay!) and want to start paying my phone bill with it to take advantage of the phone coverage. When I try to add the card to my digital wallet I get a error message stating that the card isn't accepted. Has anyone had this issue?
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wells Fargo propel doesn't work with Google pay?

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I did. Tried through the Google fi app, through Google pay, and through Wells Fargo. The Wells site, after I select Google pay, says that I have no cards available for this service. Sorry I should've put that in my original post. Thanks for the support!
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Yes I did. Tried through the Google fi app, through Google pay, and through Wells Fargo. The Wells site, after I select Google pay, says that I have no cards available for this service. Sorry I should've put that in my original post. Thanks for the support!

I would call them and ask. Sometimes lenders can have restrictions on mobile wallets that you have to call and get lifted. I ran into it with a few CU cards and Apple Pay. 

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you I'll try that!
Message 5 of 15
Andypanda
Established Contributor

I did not have any proplems adding my card to apple pay, and most cards, if they allow one mobile wallet, then they usaully allow all. ( at least apople pay, samsung pay, and google.)

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, after a little over an hour, being handed back and forth from supervision to CSR to digital support, they can't figure anything out. The Propel card IS eligible for Google pay according to Wells Fargo. A second level tech will be calling me back sometime within the next 24 hours. Not a great start with this card so far but hopefully it will get resolved. I'll update for anyone that runs into the same issue.
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

***UPDATE***
I was able to add the card through Chrome on my PC. After that it showed up on my Google pay app but has a message that says "card not available for this product", not sure what that means... I was able to add the card as my primary payment method on my Google fi account which is what I initially wanted so I could take advantage of the phone coverage provided by the Propel card. I'll have to wait until the bill is due to make sure the payment actually goes through. Very odd that it is giving me such a problem with the Google pay app itself. So, if anyone has this issue, add the card on your PC. After that, I'm not sure if it will actually work though. I'll test it out and let you know when I get a chance.
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
***UPDATE***
I was able to add the card through Chrome on my PC. After that it showed up on my Google pay app but has a message that says "card not available for this product", not sure what that means... I was able to add the card as my primary payment method on my Google fi account which is what I initially wanted so I could take advantage of the phone coverage provided by the Propel card. I'll have to wait until the bill is due to make sure the payment actually goes through. Very odd that it is giving me such a problem with the Google pay app itself. So, if anyone has this issue, add the card on your PC. After that, I'm not sure if it will actually work though. I'll test it out and let you know when I get a chance.

On a PC you’re adding the card to Google Wallet, which still uses the regular card network and physical card number to process. Google Pay on your phone is a tokenized virtual card. You can add any card to your Google Wallet but you can only add supported cards to use with Google Pay. 

Regardless, your goal of being able to pay your bill with your card will work and just use the actual card number. 

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great information! Thank you!

Seems that the people from Google pay should understand that difference as well haha. Also, Wells Fargo customer service swore up and down that the Propel card is eligible for Google pay. I guess neither company understands the distinction you've pointed out.

Yes I believe the phone bill should be taken care of. Then again, who knows at this point haha! We will see when the bill processes.

Thanks again for everyone's help and I hope this thread might be valuable to someone. 👍👍👍
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.