cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What access does a freeze stop for an existing creditor?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What access does a freeze stop for an existing creditor?

My credit reports are frozen. My understanding is creditors you have a relationship with still have full access. Today that understanding was challenged twice. I had one creditor require me to thaw my report for a HP. I had another creditor require me to thaw my report for a SP.
Comments more experienced members?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What access does a freeze stop for an existing creditor?

HP always requires you to thaw your credit. You cannot receive a HP when frozen at all. 

Some creditors like Synchrony won’t do CLIs with locked reports, even SP CLIs. In fact until I thawed my TU, they couldn’t even start SP for my FICO score. I have a feeling it has to do with them pulling these SPs as Synchrony and not Syncb/cardcobrand like the account states but it could also just be internal policy like the fraud alert policy that they won’t give CLIs until you remove the fraud alert since security freezes were originally meant to prevent fraud. 

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Synchrony actually did give me a CLI via care credit While it was frozen, but they didn’t give me the full amount. I actually have a thread on it. But if I wanted to go higher they had to do an HP and I had to thaw it.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Had you gotten a SP CLI from Sync before freezing? I am starting to wonder if the snag hits because they can’t mark that they’re a current creditor when they pull it, much like how I had to unfreeze for myFICO to be able to get my reports but then after that the updates worked just fine. 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/UPDATED-3-7-19-Care-credit-love-button-CLI/m-...

This was the first time I had ever attempted a CLI with care credit/synchrony. Opened the account three years ago with an initial charge and paid it off. Never used it again until a month ago I put a Walmart token charge to prevent closure. Anyway I froze my files actually after speaking with you last year I think or earlier this year, anyway it was frozen when I started and I kept going and the only reason I got the letter was because it was a counteroffer acceptance .
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Could be because Care Credit isn’t a cobrand? It’s actually owned by Synchrony Financial. 

Message 6 of 8
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

All I know is I was denied for Marvel and Synchrony Car care. The rep told me I had to remove the "fraud alert" not just the freeze on my TU, of course some reps give different answers, but as soon as I removed the "fraud alert" CLIs were granted almost immediately.

On a side note I must say TU is the easiest to get a FA removed, I think I am gonna have to supply some DNA for EQSmiley LOL

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Saeren: I don’t know it may be because it’s not cobranded.

@Jnbmom: Yes I did not have an FA, just a freeze. Yeah, sidenote, when I talked to EQ yesterday, they did a very in-depth authentication like I’ve never had done before.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.