cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What services to use/monitor while repairing/building?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What services to use/monitor while repairing/building?

Currently paying Experian$19.95 a month and using credit karma for TU & EQ. Was looking into myfico for $29 a mo and killing the Experian but wanted to see what others are using. Lots of changes happening with my report the last few months so I don't mind paying a little during this time to get updates more frequently.
13 REPLIES 13
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: What services to use/monitor while repairing/building?

Get all 3 FICO's for $1 at Experian.com. Cancel before the trial ends. Rinse & Repeat when needed.

Message 2 of 14
SweetCreditObsession
Valued Contributor

I would try Credit Check Total for $1 for one week trial.

Citi offers an app that gives an EQ FICO score. I also use Discover's app for my TU FICO. I use the Experian Works Basic (aka free) for my EX FICO.

(+102) | (+106) | (+151)
| TU Fico 9: ? | Exp Fico 9: ? | EQ Fico 9: ?| EQ Fico 8 Bankcard: TBA

Initial Goal: Min. 740 w/all CRAs - Met
Interim Goal: 780 w/all CRAs - Met
Current Goal(s): Min. 800 w/all CRAs
Gardening Until: ??/??/202?| Last App: 10/20/2023

Message 3 of 14
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
and using credit karma for TU & EQ. 

Just wanted to make sure you were aware that the scores provided by Credit Karma are not FICO scores - they are of the Vantage 3 model which very, very few lenders use to make credit decisions.    Vantage and FICO scores can differ by as much as +/- 100 points on some profiles and Vantage is a much more volitile scoring model when it comes to its responses to changes to your credit file.    Credit Karma is great for monitoring activity on your reports, but the scores shouldn't be of much concern.  Your FICO scores are the ones with which you should concern yourself.

While I was rebuilding and experiencing constant changes to my credit reports, I used the Experian app (paid membership) so I could have daily EX FICO score updates with the monthly updates to TU & EQ.  I found that service to be best as far as overall value since I was able to see daily score changes which allowed the ability to determine why my score changed --- helped me to better understand my profile. 

myFICO is worthwhile if you are interested in knowing all of your FICO scores (there are a total of 28 FICO versions), however - the alerts are often delayed by a couple of days.  Also - not all changes to your score are caused by 'alertable events' and therefore, you may not know a score change occured until either (1) a new 3-bureau report is pulled or (2) an alertable event occurs - at which time, your score will be updated (but the change in score may not be caused by the event which triggered the alert and score update -- which can make it very difficult to figure out why your score changed).    Also, score updates triggered by alertable events will only be for your FICO 8 scores; the other 25 scores will only update when a new 3-Bureau report is pulled, as per your subscription plan (ie. monthly / quarterly).   

With myFICO, you are really paying for the ability to view/monitor all of your FICO score versions -- which is good to know.  

The Experian service will provide all of your EX FICO score versions  (updated daily) with the exception of FICO 9,  but only FICO 8 scores for TU & EQ (updated monthly).

I can't tell you which service you should choose.   I was happy with the Experian service during my rebuild, but also see the value in the myFICO service -- I just wish their alerts were better and all 28 scores were updated along with events. 

Daily scores from EX were a huge plus though -- and I think it made my rebuild a bit easier to get through given my lack of patience and all.

Since you say you don't mind paying, perhaps try the myFICO service for a month or so and see how it compares.  If you like it, cancel the Experian service and use myFICO instead.

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 4 of 14
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous   All excellent advise from above.

AnnualCreditReport. Free weekly 3 bureau online reports (no scores) through April 2021.

WalletHub Free daily TU report (disregard the VantageScore 3.0 score).

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Appreciate the advise! And yes I like the Experian app but the 19.95 a month membership is only giving me quarterly updates for EQ/TU. I'll check and see what the 29.95 a month service provides. I just figured at that price it should be more frequently then monthly but if that's the best I'll get then that's what I'll work with. The below statement is exactly what I'm looking for. I just reduced my utilization from the 90's% to 8% and am really digging the score change! Today alone credit karma TU jumped 78points although I now understand the insignificance of the vantage score vs the fico score. Which jumped 71 points a couple days ago. I have a few other things that will start reporting soon and working on removing a few things so the more accurate and timely I can get all three the happier I am. Just wasn't sure if there was something else even better. "While I was rebuilding and experiencing constant changes to my credit reports, I used the Experian app (paid membership) so I could have daily EX FICO score updates with the monthly updates to TU & EQ. I found that service to be best as far as overall value since I was able to see daily score changes which allowed the ability to determine why my score changed --- helped me to better understand my profile."
Message 6 of 14
REDBOYYY56
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Currently paying Experian$19.95 a month and using credit karma for TU & EQ. Was looking into myfico for $29 a mo and killing the Experian but wanted to see what others are using. Lots of changes happening with my report the last few months so I don't mind paying a little during this time to get updates more frequently.

When i was building my credit which was at 565 two years ago to 726 avg amongst the big three now,credit karma played big role for me.The scores and credit report information on Credit Karma comes from TransUnion and Equifax, two of the three major credit bureaus.It took me a while to appreciate the fact that the scores doesn't matter.However it is a great tool to use to monitor your credit and show you ways in which you can improve your score.The monthly reports you see there should reflects your information as reported by those 2 bureaus.

I used it to understand how credit utilization affects your score ect.Use it as a tool to your advantage while your building your credit.

I would certainly be remiss if I did not give credit to FICO FORUMS which has the best infomation on credit there is on the planet.Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 14
TekkenQQ7
Established Contributor

This is what I am paying.exp1.PNGexp2.PNG

Message 8 of 14
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@TekkenQQ7  I commend you for being diligent about your credit health. At the same time, there are alternative sources with cost savings that could bode well for you.

Message 9 of 14
TekkenQQ7
Established Contributor

@AllZero, thank you for your concern, but I remember 3 years ago when I used to smoke, it cost me about ( $7 or $8 ) a pack. Paying $200 a year is no beag deal. but if there is a way to save I am in you can PM me if it's against myFico's ToS to share.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.