Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When Does Experian Remove Inquiries?

tag
Asilomar
Frequent Contributor

When Does Experian Remove Inquiries?

I have a few inquiries due to fall off as of yesterday and though TU and EQ removed them, EX still has not.  What's their policy?  I thought they all had to remove them on the exact day 2 years later.  Apparently not.  

Can anyone help me catch a clue, please?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EX 809 TU 806 EQ 810

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When Does Experian Remove Inquiries?

Interesting!  My guess is that if they do not fall off in the next two business days, then EX will remove them by the 2nd of the following month (Sept 2 in this case).

Just as an FYI, all your inquiries lost all scoring impact when they turned 1 year old.  So exactly when they fall off your report won't matter much.

Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Asilomar wrote:

I have a few inquiries due to fall off as of yesterday and though TU and EQ removed them, EX still has not.  What's their policy?  I thought they all had to remove them on the exact day 2 years later.  Apparently not.  

The inquiries will be deleted next month.

Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 10.24.56 AM.png

Message 3 of 20
mattmyFIC0
Established Contributor

EX seems to hold onto mine for 25 months while EQ and TU drop them at 24 or sometimes sooner.

Scores 01/04/2017: EQ 719, TU 750, EX 716
Goal scores: 740 across the board
Message 4 of 20
BigBS
Senior Contributor

EX drops inquiries the first Saturday of the month following 24 months, so some may actually stay for 25 months and some 24 months and a few days depending on the calendar.  As was said the effect is generally gone after 12 months.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 5 of 20
iv
Valued Contributor

@Asilomar wrote:

As mentioned by several others, 24 to 25 months is the practical standard for HP removal.

But I wanted to address the "had to" part.

While there are some specific timelines that CRAs are required to follow (such as the 7-7.5 year negative information removal) - inquiries do not have a similar legal timeline.  The 2-year dropoff that the big CRAs follow is based on business practice, not law, and they could choose to change that at will. (Well, as long as their customers and partners didn't complain too much.)

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 6 of 20
Asilomar
Frequent Contributor

@iv wrote:

@Asilomar wrote:

As mentioned by several others, 24 to 25 months is the practical standard for HP removal.

But I wanted to address the "had to" part.

While there are some specific timelines that CRAs are required to follow (such as the 7-7.5 year negative information removal) - inquiries do not have a similar legal timeline.  The 2-year dropoff that the big CRAs follow is based on business practice, not law, and they could choose to change that at will. (Well, as long as their customers and partners didn't complain too much.)

That is very interesting.  I had no idea.  Thank you for that. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EX 809 TU 806 EQ 810

Message 7 of 20
Asilomar
Frequent Contributor

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.  

I'm aware that the scoring penalty goes away at 12 months but I'd assumed that creditors, for the purpose of credit worthiness/approval, still count (or at least the algorithm does) the total number of inquiries, regardless of age.  Am I incorrect?  

EX 809 TU 806 EQ 810

Message 8 of 20
Ardecko
Frequent Contributor

Inquiries become non-scorable at one year. That means they no longer affect your score.

That doesn't mean they can't affect your approval odds. They are still visible to anyone who pulls your report for the full two years. Lenders are free to apply whatever additional qualifications they wish(within legal limits). Don't think it won't raise the eyebrows of a manual reviewer, though, if you have a gracious plenty.
2017-09-09 FICO 08: EQ 677, TU 640, EX 705
2020-02-07 FICO 08: TU 789
2020-02-10 FICO 08: EX 752

Gardening, mostly, again until... soon(I need to replace my car)

Message 9 of 20
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@Asilomar wrote:

I'm aware that the scoring penalty goes away at 12 months but I'd assumed that creditors, for the purpose of credit worthiness/approval, still count (or at least the algorithm does) the total number of inquiries, regardless of age.  Am I incorrect?  

I am sensing that you are wanting to apply for a Chase 5/24 card. Is that correct?

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.