cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can I use a USPS po box or UPS mailbox to app for a credit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

can I use a USPS po box or UPS mailbox to app for a credit card?

I have to move pretty soon and won't know when it will happen, so I wanted to know if I can apply for credit cards using a USPS po box or UPS mailbox as my address in the meantime. Anyone have any personal experience with this? thanks!

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: can I use a USPS po box or UPS mailbox to app for a credit card?

No personal experience, but typically issuers want a verifiable address. 

I would wait until I knew when/where (and actually moved) before applying for new credit. 

Message 2 of 17
ChessChik47
Frequent Contributor

No, I’m quite sure you need to have a physical address. Allowing the use of a PO Box or mail service would surely increase risks (identity theft, etc.).
Message 3 of 17
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No personal experience, but typically issuers want a verifiable address. 

I would wait until I knew when/where (and actually moved) before applying for new credit. 

+1 Believe a majority of the apps already tell you in advance to use a physical address with no PO Box allowed.

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

PO Boxes and other mailbox-only addresses (LexisNexis-maintained database) are considered high-risk by virtually all creditors. You may cause unnecessary headaches with false fraud application concerns. I would just wait as the others have stated.
Message 5 of 17
aircobra
Regular Contributor

Nope. I had to move earlier this year. I ended up having my mail forwarded to my neighbors (because I was in-between places at the time) and I just applied using my old address (since my drivers license had it listed). Had no issues getting my American Express card that way.

Currently rebuilding:
1/18 -
7/19 -

Message 6 of 17
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
PO Boxes and other mailbox-only addresses (LexisNexis-maintained database) are considered high-risk by virtually all creditors. You may cause unnecessary headaches with false fraud application concerns. I would just wait as the others have stated.

As an existing customer with my security info in order, I once used a temporary address to apply for a new Amex account mid-travel. That said, it was a regular street address. I had to call Amex and answer a few security questions, as well as change the new account's address online to my regular address days later, but they expedited the card.

I'm not sure how frequently that happens, or how often something goes wrong. Thoughts?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think some if not most creditors want you to have lived at the address for like 6 or 12 months or more. Applying with a brand new (permanent) address might be seen as risky but that one should be an easy explanation - doesn't mean that, depending on the issuer or even individual reviewing your application, they won't deny for that reason anyway. I see that question asked a lot too "have you lived at the address for at least x amount of time?" might consider applying before you move, then put a forwarding order in with the post office??
Message 8 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

OP, echoing what others have mentioned, Federal Regulations require all FIs to be compliant with the USA Patriot Act which, as part of KYC, a verifiable physical address is required, no exceptions.

That being said, some credit applications provide the flexibility of an alternate address field where a PO Box can be used (i.e. Chase, Barclays, Citi, etc.). However, the primary address still needs to be a physical one.

If you are an existing customer who has a PO Box for mailing or as an alternate address, a physical address still needs to be on file and/or documented whenever any new product applications are submitted.
Message 9 of 17
calyx
Super Contributor

Just to dogpile on what everyone else says - I've had a PO Box for 10 years and use it as my only mailing address, but I still have to use my street (physical) address to apply.

Some of the companies will let you put in a permanent and mailing address, some you just have to wait to change your mailing address after you recieve the card or get approved.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.