Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

divorce and repossesion, please help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

divorce and repossesion, please help

I was divorced 3 years ago. my husband was awarded the family vehicle (which was a joint account at the time), because he is disable and the judge felt I could get a vehicle faster then he coud and plus is was working and he wasn't. The judgement also said he is responsible for the payments. but the vehicle was repossed that same year because he never made the payments. this is on my credit report as a joint account. What can I do to resolve this?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: divorce and repossesion, please help

kinwin wrote:
 I was divorced 3 years ago. my husband was awarded the family vehicle (which was a joint account at the time), because he is disable and the judge felt I could get a vehicle faster then he coud and plus is was working and he wasn't. The judgement also said he is responsible for the payments. but the vehicle was repossed that same year because he never made the payments. this is on my credit report as a joint account. What can I do to resolve this?

This is a situation that unfortunately happens way too often.

The divorce decree doesn't bind the bank/car finance company because they were not a party to it.  So even though you have a legal agreement for your husband to pay for the car, as far as the bank is concerned it is still a joint account.  This makes you responsible for payment and the repo is correctly noted on your CRs.

Your divorce lawyer should have anticipated this and demanded the sale of the vehicle if your husband couldn't get financing for it in his own name.  I don't think there's much you can do now.  Is there a balance due? You could sue your husband for violating the divorce agreement, but that doesn't do much good if he isn't working and doesn't have any assets. 

My heart goes out to you and other people that this happens to. 
Message 2 of 5
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Yep.. very common situation and masdeocho is right, you are liable since it was joint.

Also check out:

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

this is so depressing. I've been cleaning my credit for 4 months and this is the last hurdle. So Tuscani, you are saying ther'ets no way, no even with the divorce papers that the creditors wil relieve me? i am tyring to get a mortgage. Would the lender accept the divorce papers as proof, if not the creditor?
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

My mom was in the same situation just a few months ago. She had fico scores in the low 600's because of a vehicle that her ex husband keep after the divorce (joint acct). I checked her reports and advised her to go to the bank and personaly speak with the manager. She gave them a sob story and the manger removed the TL from her reports and went after the ex husband.  Her scores are in the mid 700's now !  So Iguess that it just depends on how nice and understanding the people in charge are !    Good Luck
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.