Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

samsung financing

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

samsung financing

I just applied for samsung financing and I was approved for $ 2,000 but I have been reading that this financing is seriously damaging the credit. Does anyone know if this is true?
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: samsung financing

If it's labeled a Consumer Finance Account (CFA), then it could possibly hurt you. There are some people on here that swear by it.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

It’s a store card issued by TD Bank, these cards negatively affect insurance scores but that’s it.

Revolving accounts can’t be designated as consumer finance accounts so no worries on the FICO end of things except for the normal age factors such as AoYA and AAoA, inquiries, and utilization.
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

It hurts for me to investigate after making the application😖
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the reply. I was shocked to read that adding the samsung financing account was lost on average 40 points which for me is very much since I am in full reconstruction I was scared so much that in the end I did not make the purchase but I do not think it matters whether I buy or not since I will have that account opened in my credit
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Correct.  If the account has been opened whether or not you make a purchase doesn't matter, as the account will show up on your CR regardless.  May as well make whatever purchase you were planning on at this point so that it's not a complete waste.

It all comes down to how the account is coded.  If it's a revolver, no harm no foul.  If it's a CFA, it could adversely impact your scores for up to 10 years from the time the account is closed.  The impact of a CFA isn't well known and it can hurt certain profiles and certain scores more than others.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
thanks for the reply. I was shocked to read that adding the samsung financing account was lost on average 40 points which for me is very much since I am in full reconstruction I was scared so much that in the end I did not make the purchase but I do not think it matters whether I buy or not since I will have that account opened in my credit

People who talk about credit score impact are almost always referring to their Credit Karma scores. Those are useless. FICO scores are what you need to worry about and FICO will treat this the same way as any other credit card. If you max out the limit with your purchase, you’ll take the penalty like a maxed out credit card. There is nothing special about the reporting otherwise and TD Bank is not a peer to peer or last chance lender so even if it was an installment and not a revolving account, it wouldn’t be tagged as a CFA. 

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

oh 'thanks for the valuable information
Message 8 of 13
jetsfan2013
Frequent Contributor

I opened this as well a few months back and just paid off the balance. It has reported as a credit card, however I am closing the card as I will have no other use for it and I do believe my score was impacted by the account being open.

Road to rebuilding starts soon
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Was there a hard pull when you applied?
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.