cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$80k+ in Credit Cards Charged Off due to Severe Health Issue/Separation. Cant file BK. Best Options?

tag
GratefulSoul

$80k+ in Credit Cards Charged Off due to Severe Health Issue/Separation. Cant file BK. Best Options?

Long story short, after many years of a debilitating disease, a failed business and a separation from a partner who was an authorized user on my cards, I couldn't keep up with the payments when the interest rates all jumped to 18%+.

Although I'm feeling functional healthwise, my partner and I are separating, and it's extremely unlikely he's going to pay off the portion of the debt that was his. I made a lot of very bad decisions while dealing with the disease that was affecting my brain and my ability to make logical choices.

I went through a previous divorce that ended badly with us filing for bankruptcy, so I am unable to file for bankruptcy again. At the moment, I am making just enough to cover my living expenses, but I plan to be doing better next year.

I attempted debt consolidation, but too many of the accounts had gone to charge-off status.

I'm not sure what to do or how to tackle this, and I don't have extra money for an attorney. I have emails and text messages from my partner saying he would pay off his portions of the cards, but he may file for bankruptcy, so it would likely be a waste of money to try and go after him legally.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and trust me, I understand how foolish I was, so I don't need the reminder.

All Charged Off:
Personal:
Wells 

Discover

NFCU CC & CLOC
Pen Fed 
Chase 

Business:
NIH Business

B of A Business

Amex Business
Chase Business

BHG
Auto:
Pen Fed Auto

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: $80k+ in Credit Cards Charged Off due to Severe Health Issue/Separation. Cant file BK. Best Opti

Can't you do a chap 13 if you did a chap 7 if it has been four years?  You likely won't get off of everything but maybe get off some of it and have it structured.  Just a thought/option.  

08 Scores - TU: 839 - EXP:839 - EQ:838
Message 2 of 3
FicoMike0
Valued Contributor

Re: $80k+ in Credit Cards Charged Off due to Severe Health Issue/Separation. Cant file BK. Best Opti

Do you have any assets they can go after? Maybe you don't have to do anything.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.