Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BoA - unable to open checking account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BoA - unable to open checking account

During the weekend, I noticed BoA checking acount bonus and try to open checking account.  This morning I received an email stating they could not verify my identity. 

Called 800 #, and I was told that I had checking account with BoA in 2005 which was closed due to fraudent activity.    On my credit report, as well as Chex report, there is no negative line item.  When I asked it, I was told that it is due to it has been more than seven years.

But I do NOT recall ever having a checking account with BoA.   How can I clear up the record when it is not in either Chex or credit reports?    And is it worth to clear up the record when it does not affect my credit?   

They denied car loan a few months ago... and I was wondering why when other banks approved instantly with the best rate. Fico score given by BoA with denial letter was 802.    I am thinking maybe it is related....

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Re: BoA - unable to open checking account

Internal score with BoA is hosed or another possibility is that BOA is using a credit reporting agency that keeps records for 10 years...

Also check your EWS report..... (similar to Chex Systems)....

Just my guesses.. 

-J

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I suggest that you look at your EWS report.  Bank of America uses EWS rather than ChexSystems:

https://www.earlywarning.com/about-us.html 

That said, it may be so long ago that EWS has no record of it either.  If that turns out to be the case, your next best bet would be to work with BOA, who obviously has an internal record of it.  Make them your allies -- be sure to speak in a friendly way with any customer service rep.  You may need to reach out a few times over a couple weeks before you find the right CSR.

You may decide that you are simply ok with never having bank accounts or loans with them -- certainly there are thousands of alternatives.  Have you ever applied for a BOA credit card?

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never had my own credit card with BoA.  But I have been AU on my wife's account last 12 years.

As CDG mentioned there are many alternatives and I do not have to deal with BoA.  But can it potentially influence other banks?   Last year, I opened Chase and TD checkings for business and Penfed personal without any problem.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only way it could influence other banks is if it is on one of the CRA reports (EWS, Chex, EQ, EX, TU).

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I spent two hours bounced back from csr to identit fraud to check closing department.  Spoke to 9 people at BoA, and no go.

When I call 800 number and ask about the reason why I could not open a checking, the next step is fraud dept stating I had checking account in 2005.  When I dig out more then I get transferred to another closing dept stating I never had checking with them, but I had a credit card in 1990s which was closed.   Too long ago... I dont even remember I had credit card with BoA back then.

BTW, then I get transferred to fraud again, and the same story I had a checking but they dont know nothing about credit card decades ago.  As per fraud dept, they could see closed checking, but there are no records attached thus they could not tell me why it was closed.

Then I get to talk to another dept....  One rep at fraud told me they could not do anything when the account was closed more than decade ago, even there was identity fraud.

No records on any CR including Chex / EWS.  I just wanted to clear the name.  And whatever the reason, they do not have identical profile and somehow each dept do not communicate each other.  When closing dept stated I never had checking with them, I asked him to transfer me to fraud, but let's have three way call to explain.  They do not.. for whatever the reason, twice during the same call.

Anyone ever been in this situation??

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you have one and forget about it? .

Message 7 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Unless it's possible that you could've had an account with any predecessor bank that BOA absorbed in the last 10 years.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.