Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chime my first Fin Tech account!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chime my first Fin Tech account!

Opened last night via Swagbucks. Currently a $250 bonus for the checking acct.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

Re: Chime my first Fin Tech account!

Congrats! I'm in the process of pursuing that same SUB right now. 

If you're interested in other, similar opportunities, you might want to keep an eye on SoFi Money. It's a lot like Chime, but I think it has more ways to earn bonuses, via a points program. They offer SUBs pretty often and I think there's one right now.

One caution: I have occasionally had to prod SoFi to pay out bonuses I had earned. Their process seems glitchy. But then, since you're a Swagbucks user, I assume you already have experience with that. 😂

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chime my first Fin Tech account!

I tried Sofi first and was denied because they could not verify certain info. I have no idea what that is! I go after checking promos and never been denied because of verification info. I'm a first time user of Swagbucks and hope things go smoothly.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Spiral $250 checking promo!

My second Fin Tech in less than 2 weeks. I've got the checking promo bug again.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Spiral $250 checking promo!

Went for the Varo $120 promo. This makes it my 3rd Fintech.

Message 5 of 13
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

Congrats! This is a great way to get SUBs, isn't it? No FICO hit. No ChexSystems inquiries. 

The only issues I have seen are the need to monitor and occasionally nudge the vendors to actually issue the bonuses, and then deal with the tax accounting. 

I hope you keep it rolling!

Message 6 of 13
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

I guess they do SP or some criteria to verify identity. BUT if not, there are multiple concerns.

Another issue with checking apps is that they are typically startups and the financial apps can have several technical issues. Do they refund, in case of incorrect or fraudulent payment?

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 7 of 13
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@Curious_George2 wrote:

Congrats! This is a great way to get SUBs, isn't it? No FICO hit. No ChexSystems inquiries

The only issues I have seen are the need to monitor and occasionally nudge the vendors to actually issue the bonuses, and then deal with the tax accounting. 

Does the same hold true for their Savings accounts? I have CHIME and have done nothing with it since getting a $50 Sub ~ year ago. I was thinking of opening a Savings account with them now to keep it active.

Potential Future Cards
Message 8 of 13
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

@Wavester64 wrote:

@Curious_George2 wrote:

Congrats! This is a great way to get SUBs, isn't it? No FICO hit. No ChexSystems inquiries

Does the same hold true for their Savings accounts? I have CHIME and have done nothing with it since getting a $50 Sub ~ year ago. I was thinking of opening a Savings account with them now to keep it active.

I don't have any experience opening second accounts with any of the FinTechs, but I would be shocked if Chime pulled Chex for a savings account. 

My comment was more focused on the general observation that FinTechs as a group seem much less inclined to pull Chex than banks or credit unions. There's always some risk of that generalization being wrong, so caution is advisable. My understanding is that Chex can't be completely frozen. 

If you just want to show activity with Chime, why not just transfer/spend a token amount with your existing cash management account?

Message 9 of 13
Royalbacon
Frequent Contributor

Chime does not check Chexsystems.

A Guide to ChexSystems and Finding Banks that Don’t Use ChexSystems | Chime

Chime offers online bank accounts even for those individuals with negative ChexSystems reports. Why? Because Chime is one of the accounts and banks that don’t use ChexSystems. 

Second Chance Banking: Open an Account Today (chime.com)

An award-winning mobile banking app and debit card. Applying takes less than 2 minutes! No credit check. No ChexSystems.

Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Filed-September 2020 Discharged-December 2020
Kohl's Credit Card $3000 Limit (Opened October 2016) Survived Bankruptcy for whatever reason
Closed Capital One Venture One $3000 Limit (Opened December 2020, Closed by me September 2022 since I wanted the SavorOne and couldn't product change to it)
Capital One Auto Loan (Opened March 2021)
Capital One Cabela's $5000 Limit (Opened December 2021)
America First Credit Union Visa $1000 Limit (Opened December 2021)
Capital One SavorOne $5000 Limit (Opened September 2022)
Sam's Club Mastercard Synchrony Bank $2500 Limit (Opened March 30 2023) (Burned Synchrony in my CH7 BK, One card with a $745 balance)
Idaho Central Credit Union ICCU Visa $10,000 Limit (Opened April 2023)
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.