Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Should I Use This Money For?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How Should I Use This Money For?

Recently I was given some good news in these trying times (finally!)

Without getting into specifics, via some family changes, I will have about $10,000 in cash in my PayPal account. Instead of just wasting this one-time asset, I thought I'd use it as collateral to do something for myself. Build my credit or get access to opportunities I may not have otherwise had before.

I'm looking for suggestions. How can I use this to better my financial position and overall outlook credit wise and establish myself. I

currently have very little debt anyway. I thought that PayPal might give me some type of premium card, since they see I have so much sitting in one of their accounts. Or should I move it around elsewhere in order to make it work for me? Looking to be reasonable of course, but take advantage of this opportunity I might not get back.

So is PayPal credit card the way to go, or something else? What would you do? What would you suggest is most bang for the buck (pun intended)?

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How Should I Use This Money For?

If you can give us details on your current credit situation, we can answer that part of the question. List out cards/loans, and for each, the balance, limit, and status. If you're looking good, then there are worse things to do than just saving it as an emergency fund.

Message 2 of 9
RSX
Valued Contributor

you could decide on a bank/CU you would like to do future business with - for CC's - LOC or an Auto Loan

look for one with a higher savings % rate

then open a checking and savings with that bank or CU and drop some or all of the money into the savings account to start building a relationship 

this could be your Emerg Fund

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

^^^ that. Building a strong CU relationship can pay off big. They're far less likely to act against you in bad times (like now, with the economy in flux and the big banks cutting lines of credit to customers whose financial behaviors may not warrant it).

Message 4 of 9
PutThatMoneyOnTheTable
Established Contributor

I would suggest Amex HYS account. You would earn more interest and although Amex is not a relationship bank (JMO) it could work in your benefit when applying for Amex card (i.e if you don't have a Amex card). The previous post about credit union account is also a very good option. Credit unions also offer higher interest than the major banks and they offer other services that you could use in the future (cc, PL, home and auto loans)

Amex BCP $35k
Chase FU $19.6k
BOA Cash Rewards $36k
BJs Perks Plus M/C $22k
Cap1 QS $4,950 (AU)
Best Buy $4k
Wells Fargo Active Cash $11.3
Message 5 of 9
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

I strongly agree with having an Emergency reserve, and getting safe interest on it is a bonus.

Message 6 of 9
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

I would consider earning some savings account bonuses. 

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

All great options. And how about that title typo? That was too good to change...

Message 8 of 9
RSX
Valued Contributor

^ it's more the grammer that is throwing me off...

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.