Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Join NFCU through Navy League -- application question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Join NFCU through Navy League -- application question

I am trying to join NFCU by joining the San Diego chapter of the Navy League.

I selected "Annual Membership" rather than "Lifetime." Is that only a one-time $25 fee, or does it require $25 annually to keep a Navy League membership? Will this affect my eligibility for NFCU if I get the membership and only pay $25 for Navy League once?

Once you fill out and print everything, you have to mail physically to NFCU HQ or can you scan and email the documents to NFCU?

Where can I see which credit cards from NFCU have offers going on right now?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Join NFCU through Navy League -- application question

@Anonymous wrote:

I selected "Annual Membership" rather than "Lifetime." Is that only a one-time $25 fee, or does it require $25 annually to keep a Navy League membership? Will this affect my eligibility for NFCU if I get the membership and only pay $25 for Navy League once?

Once you fill out and print everything, you have to mail physically to NFCU HQ or can you scan and email the documents to NFCU?

You would have to pay annually to keep the NLUS membership. This will not affect your eligibilty to join NFCU. Once you are a member of NLUS San Diego Council you are free to join NFCU. After the year is up on your NLUS membersip, you are free to renew or to not renew. If you choose not to renew NLUS it will not affect your membership with NFCU. With credit unions, once a member, always a member regardless of things that change, such as leaving an employer that sponsered the membership or opting not to renew NLUS after the first year. 

I scanned my documentation to NFCU: membershipdocs@navyfederal.org 

Usually on the front page under the log in information where it currently says Equifax is where you will see special credit card sign up offers but you can and should also check the credit card page

https://www.navyfederal.org/products-services/cards/creditcards/creditcards.php

As far as I can tell, they are currently not offering any promotions. 

Message 2 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Im pretty sure the $25 is a once a year thing but i dont think you need to reup every year if you dont want to. Good question though. I maybe wrong so clarification is nice. I too will have to send in my stuff so will keep an eye on your threadSmiley Wink
Message 3 of 11
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Paintball94,

The $25 annual membership is fine enough for joining NFCU. You can email everything to the them. 

If you have any questions, pm me.

Best of luck to you.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for posting this! I continue to debate joining....so this will be helpful to see what is said.

Message 5 of 11
Threeof5
New Contributor

You don't have to maintain NLUS membership once you're in with NFCU. I personally will continue to donate to the NLUS because I like the things they do for service members.

The rep I spoke with said email was the fastest route. I don't know if this was th case for me, as I had faxed my app six days prior, but two days after emailing my app, I was approved.

Starting 12/27/16 FICO Score 8 EQ 645 TU 643 EX 618
Current 6/27/17 FICO Score 8 EQ 797 TU 804 EX 782

Goal 740+ ACHIEVED 4/5/17 FICO Score 8 EQ 776 TU 762 EX 748
Message 6 of 11
rooeez
Regular Contributor

@Threeof5 wrote:

You don't have to maintain NLUS membership once you're in with NFCU. I personally will continue to donate to the NLUS because I like the things they do for service members.

The rep I spoke with said email was the fastest route. I don't know if this was th case for me, as I had faxed my app six days prior, but two days after emailing my app, I was approved.

So is there anyone who has let their NLUS membership lapse and had no ill effect on membership with NFCU? I had the same question about having to do an annual renewal.

| TCL = $360,850 | TU FICO 8: 790| EX FICO 8: 792| EQ FICO 8: 794|
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rooeez wrote:

@Threeof5 wrote:

So is there anyone who has let their NLUS membership lapse and had no ill effect on membership with NFCU? I had the same question about having to do an annual renewal.

The NLUS side door is relatively new to most people, having started late April, early May of 2016 so the 1 year mark has not started for most. NFCU will not be checking with NLUS after one year on your membership nor will they ask you to provide updated membership information.  Once you are a member of the credit union, you will always be a member unless you voluntarily leave the credit union or you do something egregious (like making threats, perpetrating fraud etc) to have your membership cancelled.  Back in the early days of credit unions, most were employer sponserod, so when you left your job, your membership to the credit union was ended. Laws were changed in the late 1970s or early 1980s to allow the "once a member, always a member" benefit. 

I see you have DCU. How did you join them? When did you join them? I am guessing that you joined DCU through dontating for one of their backdoor ways in. Has it been a year? Has DCU asked for updated membership info on your backdoor way in? Probably not, and neither will NFCU.

Message 8 of 11
rooeez
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@rooeez wrote:

@Threeof5 wrote:

The NLUS side door is relatively new to most people, having started late April, early May of 2016 so the 1 year mark has not started for most. NFCU will not be checking with NLUS after one year on your membership nor will they ask you to provide updated membership information.  Once you are a member of the credit union, you will always be a member unless you voluntarily leave the credit union or you do something egregious (like making threats, perpetrating fraud etc) to have your membership cancelled.  Back in the early days of credit unions, most were employer sponserod, so when you left your job, your membership to the credit union was ended. Laws were changed in the late 1970s or early 1980s to allow the "once a member, always a member" benefit. 

I see you have DCU. How did you join them? When did you join them? I am guessing that you joined DCU through dontating for one of their backdoor ways in. Has it been a year? Has DCU asked for updated membership info on your backdoor way in? Probably not, and neither will NFCU.

I see that the main thread about membership via NLUS for NFCU is from July, but wasn't aware that it wasn't in use much prior to that.

Except for my employee owned CU, my other CU eligibitily were met through one-time donations and not membership affiliations. I grant you it is unlikely that a CU would check eligibility after the initial account creation, but with my money/credit tied to the membership I would prefer not to have any doubt.

When doing a quick search for laws about the "once a member, always a member" benefit I find none; if you have a reference I would appreciate it. I can only find search results where it's dependant on the individual CU bylaws, though most seem to allow this benefit. Regardless, I do see that NFCU states it on their website (https://www.navyfederal.org/about/about.php), so no fear here.

Thanks for the education.

| TCL = $360,850 | TU FICO 8: 790| EX FICO 8: 792| EQ FICO 8: 794|
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rooeez wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@rooeez wrote:

@Threeof5 wrote:

I see that the main thread about membership via NLUS for NFCU is from July, but wasn't aware that it wasn't in use much prior to that.

Except for my employee owned CU, my other CU eligibitily were met through one-time donations and not membership affiliations. I grant you it is unlikely that a CU would check eligibility after the initial account creation, but with my money/credit tied to the membership I would prefer not to have any doubt.

When doing a quick search for laws about the "once a member, always a member" benefit I find none; if you have a reference I would appreciate it. I can only find search results where it's dependant on the individual CU bylaws, though most seem to allow this benefit. Regardless, I do see that NFCU states it on their website (https://www.navyfederal.org/about/about.php), so no fear here.

Thanks for the education.

Yeah there was an earlier thread that was shut down. Someone was causing trouble because he posted that the NLUS side door was shut down and then it became a firestorm. So the one that is currently active proceeded the first one. 

I was mistaken when I said there is a law that states all credit unions must offer "once a member, always a member." However, "once a member always a member" wasn't always allowed. In 1968 the NCUA enacted the IRPS rules which gave credit unions the option of includng "once a member, always a member" policy in their bylaws. There is some verbiage on page two of this very old document:

https://www.ncua.gov/Legal/Documents/IRPS/IRPS1984-01.pdf

It may be an old article but, if you read through, it outlines several things we take for granted in 2017 about credit unions were really only recently (1980s) enacted. Such as expanded field of membership rules and allowing mergers with certain types of other credit unions. I can't imagine that there is a credit union in the US that does not have "once a member always a member" in its bylaws, but crazier things have happened.

If you want further reading on the subject, I would imagine you could Google the IRPS rules and updates and possibly even from the NCUA's website. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.