Did you mean: 

Out of state US Bank Checking Account

tag
eastsea
Regular Contributor

Re: Out of state US Bank Checking Account

@Red1Blue wrote:

@eastsea wrote:

I live in Florida and was told a firm no.  

What did you try to open and how did you approach them. I applied for Secured Card and it was approved, I applied for Checking and Savings account and they all approved. I did every thing online and did not have to talk to any CSR. About a month ago, I applied for and got a second secured card. ( US Bank graduates their secured card. That is the reason I opened a second secured card with them. )

I was hoping to open a checking account to build a relationship to give me a better shot at their CC's but when I called I was told they don't have branchs near me.  

Maybe it works the other way with US Bank and I should go for a CC first?   

Message 11 of 38
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@eastsea wrote:

Maybe it works the other way with US Bank and I should go for a CC first?   

Well, in my case getting a credit card and then checking / savings account. If your credit is good then go for regular credit card. If your credit needs work then go for Secured card and after 12 months if it graduates you can ask for product change. If you have a credit card with them they will waive $14.95 monthly checking account fees. I am not sure having a checking account with US Bank will help you to get credit card. I followed the path I explained earlier to open a checking / savings account with them but I dont keep much money in those accounts. Good Luck.

Message 12 of 38
snickerpedia
Frequent Contributor

I live in RI and I can't exactly remember how I got them to open my checking, savings, business checking and reserve line of credit ---- I will try to recall.......

------I do remember that it was some wonky donk way (I never had a CC with them and still don't) 

TU - 785
EX - 771
EQ - 779

Citi premier 13
CSP 29
X1 33.5k
/CIU 6k
Message 13 of 38
ChazzieT
Frequent Contributor

@eastsea wrote:

I was hoping to open a checking account to build a relationship to give me a better shot at their CC's but when I called I was told they don't have branchs near me.  

I opened a checking account to build a relationship, because I had been denied for the Cash+. I live in Texas, so it took a little work. Here's what I did:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Path-to-US-Bank-Cash-approval-amp-app-timi...

Message 14 of 38
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I think generally opening a CC first is what you need, then you can open a bank account later.   Of course, if the only reason for wanting the account is so that you can get a cc, not so useful!

Another approach is opening a joint account with someone who is already a customer.   We did this for my daughter, who wanted the Altitude Reserve quickly, and didn't want to get another card first to establish a relationship.  We both live out of the area, but  I had a cash +, so we opened a joint bank account, and now she was a customer, a week later she applied for and got the Altitude

Message 15 of 38
eastsea
Regular Contributor

@ChazzieT wrote:

@eastsea wrote:

I opened a checking account to build a relationship, because I had been denied for the Cash+. I live in Texas, so it took a little work. Here's what I did:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Path-to-US-Bank-Cash-approval-amp-app-timi...

Thank you so much for sharing, it never occured to me to go for the an investment account.   

Message 16 of 38
ChazzieT
Frequent Contributor

@eastsea wrote:

Thank you so much for sharing, it never occured to me to go for the an investment account.   

Glad to help. If you go that route, be sure to report back in the other thread and let us know how it works out for you!

Message 17 of 38
creditfan
Established Contributor

@followgreatness wrote:

Does anyone know if you can get apply and score a checking account with US bank if you live in a state without a branch? I'm in NY. 

I'm trying to build relationship with them so I can get to Cash+ offer. 

I was able to get approved for both checking and credit card I were still in NYC. It's quite a few years ago, but not sure now

Message 18 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd say if your scores are good, and you don't have an excess of HP/new account just go for a cold app! They're not a CU after all.

Plenty of people have cold apped a USB product with positive results.

If denied you then have DP's to adjust your strategy. However, i doubt the reason will be because of not having an existing relationship.

Message 19 of 38
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

I cold app'd for (2) cards, with No banking relationship at all. Both were approved,

afterwords I opened a checking and savings.

Don't really use the savings, but do use the checking.

Message 20 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.