Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overdraft cycle and somewhat questionable CU tactics

tag
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Overdraft cycle and somewhat questionable CU tactics

Need some help .. Am trying to help someone who is trying to get a hold on his credit... That said.. he needs and uses a debit card from a credit union..... He has the bad habit of overdrafting and has asked repeatedly to opt out but kept getting a line that "We no longer offer that option"... So he hit a bad patch with his work.. hes already back to work but depleated all his savings and such to get a used vehicle since his current vehicle is no longer eligible to use for his employer.. Hes trying to zero out his account balance by working,  but more reoccuring bills keep coming in before he can make enough to level it off.. and they just keep hitting him with fees.. Really do think it be better off if they just decline it.. Do think this is a bit predatory by a CU.. and I thought they were required to decline overdrafts if you implicitly requested to opt out.....  They also play games with processing withdrawals before deposits which im not fond of.... so he tends to get hit that way as well...

Even working more doesn't seem to be getting him out of this vicious cycle and i really feel bad for them.. but i cannot bail them out...

I question the legality of this.. 

Any ideas other than the obvious (make more, fix your credit score, etc)... Thats in the post but this keeps setting them back.

Not to mention theres now a predatory auto note in the mix.. if the bleeding could stop, i think hed be alright... 

-J

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Overdraft cycle and somewhat questionable CU tactics

Shut down that account and move to a better financial institution or move to a prepaid CC of some sort. As far as the legality its really unknown what is being done to banking regulations by the current administration, they may have been rolled back.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bringing back PTSD moments.. A local credit union kept allowing overdrafts despite my membership contract clearly stating "DO NOT OPT IN" and let a family member call and change all of my information (address, pin, reorder cards) and they racked up hella overdrafts. Just run, tell him to run out fast.

After having a family member arrested and a credit union sued for $8k in damages.. I thought for sure I'd never join another CU..
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you run balances this low, recurring/automatic payments are NOT one's friend.  To this day, I still won't put anything on autopay from my younger days when I was in your friend's shoes.

They should all be turned off and your friend should learn to keep a checkbook register w/ a current balance.

Message 4 of 6
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@joltdude wrote:

Need some help .. Am trying to help someone who is trying to get a hold on his credit... That said.. he needs and uses a debit card from a credit union..... He has the bad habit of overdrafting and has asked repeatedly to opt out but kept getting a line that "We no longer offer that option"... So he hit a bad patch with his work.. hes already back to work but depleated all his savings and such to get a used vehicle since his current vehicle is no longer eligible to use for his employer.. Hes trying to zero out his account balance by working,  but more reoccuring bills keep coming in before he can make enough to level it off.. and they just keep hitting him with fees.. Really do think it be better off if they just decline it.. Do think this is a bit predatory by a CU.. and I thought they were required to decline overdrafts if you implicitly requested to opt out.....  They also play games with processing withdrawals before deposits which im not fond of.... so he tends to get hit that way as well...

Even working more doesn't seem to be getting him out of this vicious cycle and i really feel bad for them.. but i cannot bail them out...

I question the legality of this.. 

Any ideas other than the obvious (make more, fix your credit score, etc)... Thats in the post but this keeps setting them back.

Not to mention theres now a predatory auto note in the mix.. if the bleeding could stop, i think hed be alright... 

-J

This is a bad situation to be in, indeed. Smiley Sad

If it were me, I would close the account and move to something like Bluebird; that way overdrafts simply won't be allowed. 

Once he's back on his feet again financially he can open another 'proper' checking account with a more reasonable bank or CU.  Using a prepaid product for now, though, would at least stop the bleeding. 

Note that with Bluebird while they do provide a "checking" account number to accept incoming ACH deposits (and paper checks on request) they don't allow ACH pull withdrawals, so your friend would have to pay another way if he's used to using those for some bills (but it sounds like that wouldn't be an issue, anyway).

With banks and CUs, I've never understood why opting-out of overdrafts doesn't apply to recurring charges.  It seems counterintuitive (to me) to decline a purchase where you're often physically standing in front of a cashier yet approve something into overdraft that could be dealt with after-the-fact likely with less inconvenience.  At a minimum opting out of all debit card overdrafts should always be an option.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good replies above👍

Ned to close account.
Start all over and possibly set a real budget.

That way every dollar spent is decided if needed.
If any of those reoccurring charges are needed then they do...but all the junk can be eliminated.

Perhaps cut out all unnecessary spending
And get creative with it......that in itself will be like getting a huge raise.

Good luck with the good deeds of helping
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.