cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So how do you get in NFCU via a dead relative?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

So how do you get in NFCU via a dead relative?

Saw it mentioned. can't find any threads..lol

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Snipper117
Contributor

Re: So how do you get in NFCU via a dead relative?

I joined NFCU end of April this year.  I got all my grandfathers info together ex army vet passed away 11 years before I was born.  When I called NFCU to ask some questions and apply they did not even ask me for any information regarding him whatsoever.

10/07/2020 BK7 Discharged Papers Received
10/07/2020 FICO 8 SCORES EXP 586 EQU 610 TU 557
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Snipper! Do you remember if you called the main bank number or a local branch?

That's funny. The website stated I'd need certain copies of military records or would have to go the VA to get a copy of them. Guess not!

Message 3 of 17
Snipper117
Contributor

I called in the main bank number.  Theirs always a possibility they could ask you for that information.  In my case the only two questions the representative asked was his relation to me and what branch of the military he served in.

10/07/2020 BK7 Discharged Papers Received
10/07/2020 FICO 8 SCORES EXP 586 EQU 610 TU 557
Message 4 of 17
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

@Snipper117 wrote:

I joined NFCU end of April this year.  I got all my grandfathers info together ex army vet passed away 11 years before I was born.  When I called NFCU to ask some questions and apply they did not even ask me for any information regarding him whatsoever.

That's true, they do use the honor system, however, I have read where they requested info later and those that couldn't provide it had all their accounts frozen until they could provide it- without proof they close the accounts.

So it's best to have/obtain your verification in case they request the documentation later.

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pikaboo-icu

That's true, they do use the honor system, however, I have read where they requested info later and those that couldn't provide it had all their accounts frozen until they could provide it- without proof they close the accounts.

So it's best to have/obtain your verification in case they request the documentation later.

Does anyone know if the verification would be free somewhere or public record if they passed over 10+ years ago?  Somewhere like Ancestory or is VA or Vitals more likely?

Message 6 of 17
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

They have all military records at the VA. I'm not sure what would be the process for obtaining records for a relative, but I'm sure a quick phone call would give you the info. Well, it won't be quick as you may be on hold forever :-)

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can request military records from the National Personnel Records Center.

https://www.archives.gov/personnel-records-center/military-personnel

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dynamicvb wrote:

They have all military records at the VA. I'm not sure what would be the process for obtaining records for a relative, but I'm sure a quick phone call would give you the info. Well, it won't be quick as you may be on hold forever :-)

This forum needs a thumbs down next to kudos.. lol

Message 9 of 17
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

You can request military records from the National Personnel Records Center.

https://www.archives.gov/personnel-records-center/military-personnel

If you are requesting for a deceased veteran you must submit a copy of the death certificate. 

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.