Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tab Bank

tag
ScoreSizzle
Frequent Contributor

Tab Bank

Who uses them and do you like them? 

Thinking about throwing some money at their high yield savings. 

Talk to me. 

Cap1 Quicksilver || Amex BCP || Discover IT || Chase FU || BofA Travel || FNB Omaha Platinum Visa
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
ScoreSizzle
Frequent Contributor

Re: Tab Bank

Nobody? 

Was it my 90s verbage with the "talk to me" that made nobody wanna respond or was it that noone has a TAB Bank account? 

Cap1 Quicksilver || Amex BCP || Discover IT || Chase FU || BofA Travel || FNB Omaha Platinum Visa
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just applied for their high yield checking and also a savings account. Am waiting for approval. (I got "approved" online, but the customer service guy said that actually I have to wait for their new accounts dept to approve me for real!)

I'm expecting some funds to come in (within a year, I believe) and would like some of it to be in a high-interest account such as this. I thought I'd get a head start on figuring out how TAB bank works. It sounds like they want you to do more than the bare minimum of fifteen $5 debits a month to qualify. They want you to use the checking account as your main account and use it frequently. I wasn't prepared for this when I signed up, but if the interest hovers at 4.0% for a while, I'll make the effort!

Edit: I should add that while my credit isn't so great right now, my Chex systems should be pretty clean. I have opened a few checking accounts in the last 12 months, though. (I think three.) I don't think this will be a problem...but we shall see!

Message 3 of 22
ScoreSizzle
Frequent Contributor

Ah! So they run your credit. Mine is frozen. Bummer. 

Thank you for the reply! Greatly appreciated! 

Message 4 of 22
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I was going to reply but all i had was my humorSmiley Wink ( you know...only one running a Tab Bank is Marty McFlySmiley Wink )
Message 5 of 22
ScoreSizzle
Frequent Contributor

LOL! Great scene! 

"Gimme a Pepsi Free." 

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ScoreSizzle wrote:

No, there's a misunderstanding! I didn't get a hard pull anywhere. I assume they took a peek at my Chexsystem report, but I got no alerts of any kind.

I got an email the next day saying that my account was "approved" for real. I like the interface online and there's also an app that seems okay.

The first thing I did was set up external transfers with some of my other bank accounts. (The kind where they send out a few small amounts to the bank and then take them back, and you "verify" the bank by listing the exact amount of the two transfers.) But right away I got emails saying that they'll only allow transfers OUT (out of Tab bank to my other bank accounts) for 90 days! Just to make sure I'm on the up and up! Also, they'll only allow a total of $3000 in or out to the accounts each day. That limit will not a problem I'll be having for a while, LOL. 

I've already verified all the external accounts but it's going to be a pain to deposit money into Tab. I'm waiting for one of my other accounts (Unify Credit Union) to "verify" Tab bank and then I can transfer money via Unify. I also used Tab's app to deposit a check, which was "approved" overnight but I have a feeling they're going to hold the check for a while before actually posting it.

Now I'm waiting for my debit card to arrive. 

So far, so good! I'll keep you posted! Smiley Happy

AverageJoe, I can always count on you to have something clever to offer! Smiley LOL

Message 7 of 22
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Hey Pal if you wanna Pepsi you gotta pay!

- #NeverRebootB2F!
# MJFLegacy!
Message 8 of 22
ScoreSizzle
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ScoreSizzle wrote:

No, there's a misunderstanding! I didn't get a hard pull anywhere. I assume they took a peek at my Chexsystem report, but I got no alerts of any kind.

I got an email the next day saying that my account was "approved" for real. I like the interface online and there's also an app that seems okay.

The first thing I did was set up external transfers with some of my other bank accounts. (The kind where they send out a few small amounts to the bank and then take them back, and you "verify" the bank by listing the exact amount of the two transfers.) But right away I got emails saying that they'll only allow transfers OUT (out of Tab bank to my other bank accounts) for 90 days! Just to make sure I'm on the up and up! Also, they'll only allow a total of $3000 in or out to the accounts each day. That limit will not a problem I'll be having for a while, LOL. 

I've already verified all the external accounts but it's going to be a pain to deposit money into Tab. I'm waiting for one of my other accounts (Unify Credit Union) to "verify" Tab bank and then I can transfer money via Unify. I also used Tab's app to deposit a check, which was "approved" overnight but I have a feeling they're going to hold the check for a while before actually posting it.

Now I'm waiting for my debit card to arrive. 

So far, so good! I'll keep you posted! Smiley Happy

AverageJoe, I can always count on you to have something clever to offer! Smiley LOL

I didn't get an email at all... I wonder why. I guess I will have to call and see what's up becuase my credit is good with no marks on it, only a couple of HPs. 

Message 9 of 22
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Maybe you didn't get a reply because when you

say "Tab" us old-timers just think of this ...

Lol Smiley Tongue

Old School Soda Logos - General Design - Chris Creamer's ...

I have no info or perspective personally.

"Deposit Accounts" is a website with information on banks - and reviews.

It looks sketchy to me.  Some awful reviews and comments.

In general, poor IT functionality and poor customer service.

https://www.depositaccounts.com/banks/reviews/tab-bank.html

5 star (3)
4 star (4)
3 star (3)
2 star (2)
1 star (9)

Better Business Bureau says they are not accredited with BBB

... and they have 2 complaints.  Smiley Sad

Doctor-of-Credit says, "Given the restrictive debit card language,

I think Orion is actually still a better option for most people."

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/tab-bank-4-apy-on-balances-up-to-50000-direct-deposit-not-required/

Bankrate.com says, "Started in 1998, Transportation Alliance Bank, Inc. d/b/a TAB Bank is an FDIC-insured bank headquartered in Ogden, UT. The bank holds equity of $95.4 million on assets of $749.4 million, according to December 31, 2017, regulatory filings."

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.