Did you mean: 

The Quest for an SSL alternative to Alliant

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The Quest for an SSL alternative to Alliant

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Disco offered me BT at 4.99% for 15 months so I pulled $3500 to checking and then I'll write myself a check and deposit it in to NFCU and call for the 5 year loan. 

Just to make sure I am doing this right...

I pay it down to $311.50 right away and then set up recurring payments of how much? I don't want to run out the clock early on the loan but I want to minimize the interest I'm paying NFCU and keep the loan from being forgiven. 

It doesn't have to be recurring payments; they can be regular payments.

I would pay $2 or $3 or so every month.

Yep I did the math and it comes out to $5.25 if I'm keeping up with the interest so I'll just shoot for $3 a month which would be $180 out of $311.50 left - should be plenty to avoid closing it out early after interest and that's a payment I can safely set to auto pay from my checking and never have to worry about it. 

Message 361 of 468
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in Texas and looking at SSFCU based on the comments here. I see a lot of people saying they had just opened the loans. Does anyone have a longer term experience with them?

@Anonymous wrote:

Yep I did the math and it comes out to $5.25 if I'm keeping up with the interest so I'll just shoot for $3 a month which would be $180 out of $311.50 left - should be plenty to avoid closing it out early after interest and that's a payment I can safely set to auto pay from my checking and never have to worry about it. 

Message 362 of 468
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm in Texas and looking at SSFCU based on the comments here. I see a lot of people saying they had just opened the loans. Does anyone have a longer term experience with them?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous Welcome To myFICO Forums! ,

Sorry I can't help you, as I only know about The Navy (NFCU) SSL   ..

But maybe @Anonymous  or someone else can help?

Message 363 of 468
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous what specifically were you wondering about them? I don't have a loan with them right now, they gave me an auto loan back in 2009 and I have a credit card, but I'll answer if I can. 

Message 364 of 468
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm pre-approved for a personal loan from Amex and they say there's no hard pull.

Does anyone know if there's a way to use this technique with Amex loans?

Message 365 of 468
wdkwang
Contributor

@Cookiegrabber wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Is $129 too much?

https://www.ed2go.com/adams/SearchResults.aspx?CurrPage=1&CategoryId=17&Sort=RELEVANCE&PrevSort=RELEVANCE&SortAsc=True

Nice! There are a bunch of $115 courses, too!

Can anyone confirm if taking one of the online courses will permit an out of state person to join SSFCU? I don't want to pay for a course and then get a request from the CU to come in branch to prove I'm a local. Thanks.

Chase Sapphire Reserve 34K | Chase Freedom Unlimited 28K | Chase Amazon 25K
Chase IHG 8.5K | Chase Freedom 5K | Chase Sapphire 3K
Bank of America Cash 40K | Bank of America Travel 40K
AMEX Delta Gold 30K | AMEX Everyday 25K | AMEX Delta 13K | AMEX Blue Cash Everyday 2.62K
Citi Rewards Plus 31K | Citi ThankYou Premier 18.7K
PenFed Pathfinder 5K | PenFed Platinum 5K
City National Bank Crystal Visa 15k
TD Cash 14K | Uber Visa 13K | USBank Cash+ 10K
Wells Fargo Cash Wise 6.5K | Discover IT 5.2K
Overstock 13K | Target RedCard 2.5K | Victoria Secret Angel 1K | LOVE LOFT .25K
BP Visa 5K | Walmart MC 3.3K

08/18: TCL 246.95K | AoOA: 18Y | AAoA: 5.0Y || TU: 820 | EQ: 823 | EX: 815 || INQ - TU: 3 | EQ: 3 | EX: 7
12/18: TCL 386.95K | AoOA: 18Y | AAoA: 3.1Y || TU: 805 | EQ: 813 | EX: 769 || INQ - TU: 5 | EQ: 4 | EX: 10
11/19: TCL 421.55K | AoOA: 18Y | AAoA: 4.2Y || TU: 818 | EQ: 820 | EX: 794 || INQ - TU: 6 | EQ: 5 | EX: 9
Message 366 of 468
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I asked, they told me it wouldn’t work. But I guess it all depends on the representative. It could probably work, but I wouldn’t count on it.
Message 367 of 468
Anonymous
Not applicable

Read the terms of what’s required for membership. If it includes students of state schools, being enrolled in that class makes you qualify legally, whether they like it or not. And I have no doubt that some representatives won’t like it, just like with the member above. But I bet if you go to a supervisor and push the issue they have no choice it’s how their terms are written. Either that or change their terms. Go to the credit union website and read the requirements for membership.

They can call the school to verify your enrollment, you can give your student ID number, you can fax over your enrollment paperwork, there’s no reason for you have to go in person.
Message 368 of 468
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just looked at the requirements and it’s phrased attend school. So I guess it depends on how you want to define attend. I see no reason why you cannot virtually attend your courses, ect... that’s what the online courses are for, even residents of the state partake in them.
Message 369 of 468
wdkwang
Contributor

Called SSFCU today after reading the prerequisites for becoming a member. FYI I'm located in NYC.

I provided 2 reasons that I thought would legitimize myself for membership:

1. I traveled for work on a weekly basis to SLC, Utah to a client site. Stayed for over half of every week. Although currently not working there, I may have to again if a deal closes for more client work.

2. I'm currently enrolled in an online course at University of Utah. (One of those free e-courses)

The guy on the phone was nice. He put me on hold to ask his colleague/manager. Ultimately came back to say that I cannot be approved. They want to see some sort of ID or billing statement showing that I have residency within the 3 states they're in. It didn't matter that I mention that I've heard of people living out of state, i.e. California, got memberships because they volunteered once a year in the 3 states, or visited family within the 3 states for a few days a year.

If anyone has gotten through, I'd appreciate if you mention what story you used. Thanks.

Chase Sapphire Reserve 34K | Chase Freedom Unlimited 28K | Chase Amazon 25K
Chase IHG 8.5K | Chase Freedom 5K | Chase Sapphire 3K
Bank of America Cash 40K | Bank of America Travel 40K
AMEX Delta Gold 30K | AMEX Everyday 25K | AMEX Delta 13K | AMEX Blue Cash Everyday 2.62K
Citi Rewards Plus 31K | Citi ThankYou Premier 18.7K
PenFed Pathfinder 5K | PenFed Platinum 5K
City National Bank Crystal Visa 15k
TD Cash 14K | Uber Visa 13K | USBank Cash+ 10K
Wells Fargo Cash Wise 6.5K | Discover IT 5.2K
Overstock 13K | Target RedCard 2.5K | Victoria Secret Angel 1K | LOVE LOFT .25K
BP Visa 5K | Walmart MC 3.3K

08/18: TCL 246.95K | AoOA: 18Y | AAoA: 5.0Y || TU: 820 | EQ: 823 | EX: 815 || INQ - TU: 3 | EQ: 3 | EX: 7
12/18: TCL 386.95K | AoOA: 18Y | AAoA: 3.1Y || TU: 805 | EQ: 813 | EX: 769 || INQ - TU: 5 | EQ: 4 | EX: 10
11/19: TCL 421.55K | AoOA: 18Y | AAoA: 4.2Y || TU: 818 | EQ: 820 | EX: 794 || INQ - TU: 6 | EQ: 5 | EX: 9
Message 370 of 468
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.