Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adverse action for BT?

tag
jmcmillan
Frequent Contributor

Adverse action for BT?

Would I be at risk if I did a BT to my Discover card if I used 90% of my credit line? I really want to take advantage of the 0% balance transfer offer, but I don’t want to be balanced chased, or any other adverse action. I would not actively be applying for credit during this time. I calculated my overall util would be about 30%.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: Adverse action for BT?

@jmcmillan 

It didn't happen to me.  I have some 0% BT offers in force right now on my Reflect and Ollo Rewards cards... both were at 80-90% of the limit when I took them out and I never saw any AA from anyone.

Didn't see any major score drops either... although I know once I pay them down my scores will go up.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 2 of 21
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I got the offer also. Dont need it. But. Disco is very rare to see balance chasing. Last time was yrs ago. But the poster had all kinds of issues. Without knowing your other cards. Should be fine.

Message 3 of 21
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@jmcmillan wrote:

Would I be at risk if I did a BT to my Discover card if I used 90% of my credit line? I really want to take advantage of the 0% balance transfer offer, but I don’t want to be balanced chased, or any other adverse action. I would not actively be applying for credit during this time. I calculated my overall util would be about 30%.

Disco will not balance chase you providing that your payments are adequate. Id make sure to not pay anywhere near minimum because Disco is reporting increases in losses, that's when chance of AA increases. 

None of that means that other lenders would or wouldn't take AA. Some are fine, others might jump on it. 

If you are rebuilding, I wouldn't do 90%. 

Just because it didn't happen to someone else, it doesn't mean it won't happen to you. 

Conversely, just because someone else experienced AA, it doesn't mean you will.

So, in a nutshell, Disco is fine as longs as payments don't make it look like they may end up holding the bag.

Your other lenders, that's trickier part. 

Message 4 of 21
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

@jmcmillan wrote:

This should not be an issue! However make sure that you pay 3 or 4X the minimum payment amount, otherwise you are at high risk of AA.

Few years ago I did BT with Disco and by paying minimum payment for few months! I got AA from Disco and Cap1.

@RemediosIs always on top of things! Sry to post the same thing, your too quick Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 21
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

Just because it didn't happen to someone else, it doesn't mean it won't happen to you. 

Very true.  Even though I said I had no AA for my 80-90% BT's I did... I'm not gonna lie... I was nervous that AmEx might do something with my $10k card like drop my CL but they didn't.  It's been months now so not really worried about it any more.  AmEx is still watching me like a hawk though... can't get a CLI till the Ch 13 falls off and they've pulled my reports pretty much every month.  Smiley LOL   I have good history with them though... both previously and with the new account that has been PIF for 8 months with good usage.

@CYBERSAM wrote:

This should not be an issue! However make sure that you pay 3 or 4X the minimum payment amount, otherwise you are at high risk of AA.

Few years ago I did BT with Disco and by paying minimum payment for few months! I got AA from Disco and Cap1.

Good advice too.

I forgot to mention... in my BT's I've generally paid about 10x the minimum... no AA.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 6 of 21
jmcmillan
Frequent Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

I am rebuilding, that's why I'm worried about doing it.

Message 7 of 21
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@jmcmillan 

Just an idea. May keep your mind at ease. Why not 50% of what you wanted to BT? Still saves some $.

Message 8 of 21
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@jmcmillan wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

I am rebuilding, that's why I'm worried about doing it.

If I may ask, how much are you wanting to transfer and which term in months? 

Let's pretend it's $1000.00. if you are paying $100, you should be just fine, balance is noticeably going down. If you're planning on paying $35.00, I'd worry a little. 

So, if you take the total amount you're trying to BT, divide it in 12 equal payments, it should work. To Disco, it indicates BT will be payed off. Once balance gets lower, making smaller payment won't be a big issue. 

If you're doing 18 months, your first 3 payments should be larger (Not large enough to defy a purpose for doing BT, only to drop it down so it gives appearance of balance going down on the report), then divide rest of the balance by remaining number of months and set it to cruise 

Message 9 of 21
jmcmillan
Frequent Contributor

@FireMedic1 @Remedios 

Let me provide more details. I am trying to pay off a predatory student loan that is costing me a fortune, and I’m close to having enough money to pay it off, but I am about $3500 short. My credit line with Discover is $3700. I would take the $300 that I’m paying for the student loan and apply it to Discover. I am expecting a bonus from work in August, so I would likely have it paid off then. I would likely choose the 12 months for 0% offer.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.