Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Agency Refuses to Validate?

tag
alloveragain3boys
Established Member

Collection Agency Refuses to Validate?

I recently signed up with a credit repair service and they have been sending letters on my behalf. I received a response from Resurgent Capitol Services on behalf of LVNV Funding LLC that stated they would not investigate the dispute because they determined my dispute to be frivolous. The exact wording is as follows:

"We recently received a direct dispute from you regarding vertain information in your credit report. After reviewing this dispute, we have reason to believe that it was submitted by, prepared on your behald by, or submitted on a form supplied to you by a credit repair organization. Therefore, as permitted by law, we have determined your dispute to be frivolous and irrelevant and will not investigate it."

Has anyone dealt with this? I looked up the FCRA Act and found that Section 809 addresses disputes. This is what it says:"

1. (b)  Disputed debts

If the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty-day period described in subsection (a) of this section that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, or that the consumer requests the name and address of the original creditor, the debt collector shall cease collection of the debt, or any disputed portion thereof, until the debt collector obtains verification of the debt or a copy of ajudgment, or the name and address of the original creditor, and a copy of such verification or judgment, or name and address of the original creditor, is mailed to the consumer by the debt collector. Collection activities and communications that do not otherwise violate this subchapter may continue during the 30-day period referred to in subsection (a) unless the consumer has notified the debt collector in writing that the debt, or any portion of the debt, is disputed or that the consumer requests the name and address of the original creditor. Any collection activities and communica- tion during the 30-day period may not overshadow or be inconsistent with the disclosure of the consumer’s right to dispute the debt or request the name and address of the original creditor."

Don't see anything regarding "frivolous" claims. What should I do next? File a complaint? 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Collection Agency Refuses to Validate?

@alloveragain3boys credit repair services provide paid services for things that you can do yourself at no cost, and also for things that can hurt your credit more than help it.  One of the primary things that these services provide are filing frivolous disputes, and disputes received from these agencies can automatically be assumed to be disputes for valid debts.  Please familiarize yourself with the Credit Repair Discussion Guidelines, but the obvious question here would be: is this account that you are disputing one that actually belongs to you?

Message 2 of 11
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Apologies in advance for not being very helpful, but all I know about 'credit repair' companies is that they should be avoided at all costs. It's my understanding that they cannot do anything you couldn't do on your own--but they charge you for doing it. And, apparently, their reputation is so bad that creditors respond with letters and actions like you received.

I don't know how much you've already paid for their 'services,' but my advice is to get out right now and do everything yourself. Ask questions here! We have very experienced and knowledgeable members who can help you sort things out on your own, without the paid 'help' of some shady 'credit repair' company. A credit counseling service--which is a legitimate service/business--would be a good option, too, if you really feel you need outside help.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 3 of 11
alloveragain3boys
Established Member

Thanks for the link to the guidelines, I'll definitely be going over them. As for the credit repair service, I am definitely pulling the plug on them. It's been more of a headache than a help. 

The debt is mine, but I'm wondering about the amount they say I owe. 

Message 4 of 11
alloveragain3boys
Established Member

Thanks for the heads up! I'm cutting ties with them as we speak. Thankfully, I'm not too deep into it that I lost too much money. 

Message 5 of 11
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Fantastic.  As SoCalGardener mentioned, there are many wonderful people here who can certainly help you at no charge on the best course of action to address the reporting, without any of the shady practices that often just end up making it worse.

Message 6 of 11
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Resurgent/LVNV will delete the account upon settlement or paid in full. Settle and get it off your reports. It probably becamefrivolous probably because the repair company kept hammering them over and over. Just like CRA's will do. Eventually they ignore it. Kinda like leave us alone already.

Message 7 of 11
vntrsc
Established Contributor

@alloveragain3boys wrote:

I recently signed up with a credit repair service and they have been sending letters on my behalf. I received a response from Resurgent Capitol Services on behalf of LVNV Funding LLC that stated they would not investigate the dispute because they determined my dispute to be frivolous. The exact wording is as follows:

"We recently received a direct dispute from you regarding vertain information in your credit report. After reviewing this dispute, we have reason to believe that it was submitted by, prepared on your behald by, or submitted on a form supplied to you by a credit repair organization. Therefore, as permitted by law, we have determined your dispute to be frivolous and irrelevant and will not investigate it."

Has anyone dealt with this? I looked up the FCRA Act and found that Section 809 addresses disputes. This is what it says:"

1. (b)  Disputed debts

If the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty-day period described in subsection (a) of this section that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, or that the consumer requests the name and address of the original creditor, the debt collector shall cease collection of the debt, or any disputed portion thereof, until the debt collector obtains verification of the debt or a copy of ajudgment, or the name and address of the original creditor, and a copy of such verification or judgment, or name and address of the original creditor, is mailed to the consumer by the debt collector. Collection activities and communications that do not otherwise violate this subchapter may continue during the 30-day period referred to in subsection (a) unless the consumer has notified the debt collector in writing that the debt, or any portion of the debt, is disputed or that the consumer requests the name and address of the original creditor. Any collection activities and communica- tion during the 30-day period may not overshadow or be inconsistent with the disclosure of the consumer’s right to dispute the debt or request the name and address of the original creditor."

Don't see anything regarding "frivolous" claims. What should I do next? File a complaint? 

The section you cited is not from the FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act).  It is from the FDCPA (Fair Debt Collection Practices Act) regarding the validation of debts.  

Notice that it states "If the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty-day period described in subsection (a) of this section".  Here is what is stated in "subsection (a)". 

(a) Notice of debt; contents
Within five days after the initial communication with a consumer in connection with the collection of any debt, a debt collector shall, unless the following information is contained in the initial communication or the consumer has paid the debt, send the consumer a written notice containing --

(1) the amount of the debt;

(2) the name of the creditor to whom the debt is owed;

(3) a statement that unless the consumer, within thirty days after receipt of the notice, disputes the validity of the debt, or any portion thereof, the debt will be assumed to be valid by the debt collector;

(4) a statement that if the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty-day period that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, the debt collector will obtain verification of the debt or a copy of a judgment against the consumer and a copy of such verification or judgment will be mailed to the consumer by the debt collector; and

(5) a statement that, upon the consumer's written request within the thirty-day period, the debt collector will provide the consumer with the name and address of the original creditor, if different from the current creditor.

The referenced 30-day period is triggered only after receiving the initial communication referenced in number 1 of section (a).   Courts that have ruled on the issue have ruled that credit reporting is NOT an initial communication that triggers the right for a consumer to demand validation. 

In regard to the FCRA, read section 611(a)(8)(F) which is titled "Frivolous or Irrelevant Dispute".   It states that a furnisher that deems a dispute to be frivolous does not have to investigate and verify reported information.   In fact, 611(a)(8)(G) states that furnishers do not have to investigate or verify disputes submitted for consumers by credit repair organizations.

Message 8 of 11
alloveragain3boys
Established Member

Thank you so much for the correct information and clarifying it for me!!

Message 9 of 11
alloveragain3boys
Established Member

Good to know! I'll be reaching out to them this week and see what they'll work with.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.