Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt Collection Lawsuit Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Debt Collection Lawsuit Question

I got served papers recently that a debt collection agency is suing me for an unpaid collection account they purchased. I am not claiming the debt as mine, but in the paperwork it states the OC charged the account off to collections on 10/12 and it was purchased by the collecter 3 weeks later. however on the only paper they provide as proof, which is the very last billing statement it said the due date was 11/09 of the same year, I was super confused how one could send it to collections prior to the billing statement due date, but I opened a dispute citing my reasons as the account being unfamiliar and asking for proof, the dispute i opened resulted in the account being closed.

So does this mean they can still attempt to sue me?

I have never dealt with this so I am not sure what my next steps should be. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Re: Debt Collection Lawsuit Question

@Anonymous wrote:

I got served papers recently that a debt collection agency is suing me for an unpaid collection account they purchased. I am not claiming the debt as mine, but in the paperwork it states the OC charged the account off to collections on 10/12 and it was purchased by the collecter 3 weeks later. however on the only paper they provide as proof, which is the very last billing statement it said the due date was 11/09 of the same year, I was super confused how one could send it to collections prior to the billing statement due date, but I opened a dispute citing my reasons as the account being unfamiliar and asking for proof, the dispute i opened resulted in the account being closed.

So does this mean they can still attempt to sue me?

I have never dealt with this so I am not sure what my next steps should be. 

Is the debt in reality yours?

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Debt Collection Lawsuit Question

Billing statements setting a due date are sent for both delinquent and non-delinquent accounts.

The fact that a billling statement with a due date after the date of first delinqeucncy is thus common.

Do you recognize the alleged debt, and if so, do you have any independent account records establishing the prior delinquency history?

There is simply not enough info provided in the posted scenario to establish when the debt became delinquent, and thus subject to collection by a debt collector......

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.