Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foreclosure Removal Date - Contradicting Information

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Foreclosure Removal Date - Contradicting Information

Hello,

My wife and I have been working very hard toward purchasing a home in 2020 and we would like to see a foreclosure be removed from my credit reports beforehand for better rates. The foreclosure occurred in May 2014, however the original delinquency date is March 2013 as the account was never brought current since then. Besides the below links from my research, I have also spoken to a couple mortgage lenders who swear up and down that the account will not be removed until May 2021, but I feel like that directly contradicts Experian and Equifax's own documentation. I am hoping that someone with some experience in tracking a foreclosure removal closely could help clarify some of the definitions given using your own experience. Thank you so much!

Experian says 7 years from the "Original Delinquency Date"

https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/am-i-able-to-get-an-old-foreclosure-taken-off-my-credit-...

Transunion says  7 years from "the date filed"

https://www.transunion.com/customer-support/faqs/credit-basic

Equifax says 7 years "from the date of the first missed payment that led to the negative status"

https://www.equifax.com/personal/education/credit/report/how-long-does-information-stay-on-credit-re...

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Foreclosure Removal Date - Contradicting Information

First, it is necessary to get a bit legal in order to understand the exclusion date(s) related to a foreclosure on a loan.

The exclusion dates for all types of adverse items of information is detailed in FCRA 605(a), and modified for collections and charge-offs by section 605(c).

FCRA 605(a) lists four specific types of adverse information (i.e., bankruptcies, civil judgements, paid tax liens, and collections/charge-offs)

in respective subsections 605(a)(1) through 605(a)(4).

All other adverse items of information default to the catch-all provisions of subsection 605(a)(5), which for obvious reasons does not provide an explicit definition of the begin date for its stated 7 year exclusion provision.  All that is stated is that the adverse item of information must be excluded after 7 years from the occurence of the adverse item under consideration.

Reporting of a foreclosure or of a reposession does not have its own explicit subsection, and thus defaults to the catch-all provisions of subsection 605(a)(5), with no clear and explicit statement of the begin date of its 7 year exclusion period.

The logical interpretation is that exclusion of a foreclosure must occur once the date of foreclosure antedates the currrent date by more than 7 years.

However, other considerations also come into play.

If the credit report also includes the reporting of a monthly delinquency, that separare reporting must be excluded no later than 7 years from the initiation of the delinquency, and if the account remains delinquent upon reaching 7 years, the current status is prevented from continuing to report as adverse after its own period of 7 years.  With no way to simply exclude a current status, that results in the exclusion of the entire account.

If the loan was foreclosed and reaches 7 years from initial date of delinquency but is still unpaid, FCRA 605(a)5) prevents continued reporting of a delinquent status after 7 years from the DOFD, and thus the entire account is excluded.

However, if the loan was foreclosed but paid, it no longer has any adverse current status, and the foreclosure per se would become excluded after 7 years from the date of foreclosure, and if monthly delinquencies were also reported, they would become excluded after 7 years from intitial date of delinquency, leaving the reporting in the credit report, but without any derogs showing thereunder.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.