Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying an old collection.

tag
LCD328
Valued Member

Paying an old collection.

I have an old cable bill from another state on my credit report. I want to pay it, but I don't know who I should call. Do I just call the cable company directly? How long will it be before it comes off my credit report? Is there anything I can do to get it off after it's paid.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paying an old collection.

Call the collection agency that's currently holding the debt. When you call them - and - write them, tell them that you want to pay the balance in full - if - they remove it from your credit report. The collection agency is the one who can get it off your credit reports, but you have to play hard ball with them. You can settle the balance for less than what you owe but if you pay in full they are more likely to remove it from your credit reports, but you have to ask them to remove it - they will not do so on their own. 

Once they are paid and have their money they don't have to do anything. Even though you're not in an ideal place you hold all the leverage. Pay it off but ONLY under the condition that they remove it from your credit report - if they choose not to, I wouldn't pay them. Don't even settle in that case (if you want it removed) settling will do little to get it removed. 

Message 2 of 8
LCD328
Valued Member

Ok, Thanks. It shows Credit Management and 11 Charter Communications. I'm assuming that Charter Communications is the cable company, and Credit Management is a collection company. I want to pay the full balance, so shouldn't I call the cable company or should I just deal with the collection company only.

Message 3 of 8
cjane1
Frequent Contributor

Contact the collection agency. Charter sent your account to the collection agency, you now owe them the money.

Message 4 of 8
LCD328
Valued Member

Thanks. I've been reading about Credit Management and how hard it is to get them to remove it from CR,  even though it will be paid. I'm hoping if I'm extremely polite when I call to pay it, I might get lucky and can talk them into deleting it from my CR.  It doesn't show a contact number for them on my CR,  how do I find the number for them? Should I call Charter and get the number.

Message 5 of 8
cjane1
Frequent Contributor

If it was me I would first find out what the SOL is for your state before doing anything. If it is within the SOL for your state I would pay and ask if they can delete, if they say no I would send GW letters and emails until it works, you will get replies that they legally can't remove but that isn't true, there should be people on here that have had luck with them that will give you the info you need. If it is past the SOL I would do a PFD by email offering less than what is owed and go from there...... If you need the  # call Charter and get the phone # from them.

Message 6 of 8
LCD328
Valued Member

The cable bill is from Alabama, but I now live in Florida.  Alabama's SOL is 3 years for open accounts, Florida is a 4 year catch-all. On my CR, EQ date is March 2012 and TU date is August 2011. Nothing on EX,  now I don't know what to do. Should I still pay it? More confused than ever. 

Message 7 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@LCD328 wrote:

The cable bill is from Alabama, but I now live in Florida.  Alabama's SOL is 3 years for open accounts, Florida is a 4 year catch-all. On my CR, EQ date is March 2012 and TU date is August 2011. Nothing on EX,  now I don't know what to do. Should I still pay it? More confused than ever. 

This isnt an open account it would be a written contract, open accounts are revolving CCs. I would try to settle with a PFD to the reporting CA.

As far as what SOL applies its typically the state you are now living in but if you lived in your previous state and the SOL ran you can use that states SOL, sometimes the creditors home state also can be used.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.