Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SHOULD I DISPUTE OR PAY-OFF?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

SHOULD I DISPUTE OR PAY-OFF?

Out of blue, today my credit report got updated with an old apartment balance dated year 2014. The collection agency never called or contacted me via mail. In this last 4 years, I have already changed four homes. At this point, is it wise to simply dispute those amount or should i call the collection agency and request for delete with partial pay off? Honestly, I don't know where they came up with that amount reported on credit report either. 

Could someone please advise????

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: SHOULD I DISPUTE OR PAY-OFF?

Disputes are for inaccurately reported information.  It's as simple as that.  If the info reported is inaccurate, go ahead and dispute it.  If it's not, disputing it is not the way to go.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand what you mean. Question is .. since i dont know if the amount they mention is correct or not, should i dispute right away or talk to collection agency and ask where the amount came from?

Message 3 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you are seeking quick removal of the collection, then you can contact the debt collector and make a pay for deletion offer.

You can make the offer at any amount that you consider reasonable, regardless of what they now have asserted to be the amount of the debt.

If you wish to make a formal request for validation of the amount of the asserted debt, a DV would not yet be timely, as they have not yet initiated communication with you.  You can still send a formal DV request, but they have no obligation to respond or to cease collection activities until they have first made an initial communication with you and sent the required dunning notice.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I paid off based on pay-for-delete agreement. They did sent out letter to all credit bureau on jan 02, 2019. A copy of that letter was sent to me via mail. I dont see the collection got removed yet. Should I wait for some time or dispute with this letter. any recommendation ?

Message 5 of 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Takes 30 days or more for your file to update most of the time. Let it ride for now. Dont ruffle any feathers at the CA after you got a PFD letter. Dont want them to backfire.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you mind if I ask how you got them to PFD, over the phone?

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the great piece of advice. I'll follow :smileyh

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Takes 30 days or more for your file to update most of the time. Let it ride for now. Dont ruffle any feathers at the CA after you got a PFD letter. Dont want them to backfire.

appy:

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even though it wasn't my fault because i did not receive any form of communication, I was extremely polite when i requested. They agreed for PFD and still I asked thrice if their words can be trusted. They said they cannot lie since the line is being recorded. so i went ahead and paid in full trusting them completely. Turned out they kept up their word. so bottom-line, be polite and ask nicely.. after all..its our benefit if the collections get removed.. it improves our life a bit!!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.