Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Summons Help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Summons Help

I received a summons last month regarding a Citibank account I have. The whole thing has been frustrating. I lost my job several years back then took a job at 30% of my old pay while I got retrained for another job. Once I got into my field I suffered an on the job injury that tossed me into Worker's Comp hell. Because of all the delays getting reimbursement from them every time I went off work, I fell behind on bills. Everyone worked with me on payment plans including Citibank. Set up automatic deductions with them for 12 months. They did so for 7 months. Was in and out of the hospital so I didn't realize they'd stopped immediately. By the time I reached them, they'd turned me over to multiple collection agencies simultaneously. Citibank refused to deal with me and each agency said I was only to deal with them. Now I'm being sued. I filed an answer with the courts and with the agency suing me but don't know what to do know. Lawyers only want me to file bankruptcy. Don't want to.. Can't reach agency during their hours because of my long working hours without access to private phone. Everything else is okay and am paying things off. Can't pay this bill in full but can't get agency to contact me thru email to attempt to set up a payment plan. Afraid of wage garnishment which would probably force me to file bankruptcy. Any ideas/help?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Summons Help

When you were sued it should have included the name of the attorney for the party suing you.  Contact the attorney for plaintiff.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Summons Help

I have dealt with a number of these judments and potential judgments, some of the law firms are pretty easy to deal with if you are respectful to them. You don't have to like them but at least pretend. And remember it is nothing personal, they are just doing thier job. It sounds like you are going to have to set up a payment plan with the attorneys office at this point which should be easy to do. Now I am not 100% sure, but this is the experience I have had. You should end up dealing with some assistant to the attorney and they are much more understanding if you hit them with a sob story and do a little pleading. It worked for me on several occasions where I was able to get a settlement for at least 40% off the owed amount before judgment. If not, request a payment plan and do not take their first offer. They almost always leave room for negotiation. Hope this helps.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.