UPDATED: Rebuilding credit; next steps

tag
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

Re: Rebuilding credit; next steps

@HowDoesThisAllWork wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Welcome @Binbinimiwi 

Your answer is in your question. FICO likes 3 revolvers and 1 loan for the rebuild bonus. You can try Cap1 pre-qual and see if you are offered a card. Stay away from the QS1. They been handing out a lot of 3000 SL's lately. Once you get to 3 cards. Only have 1 report every month and then PIF before the due date. You already have the loans covered with your SL's. So 2 more cards and let the rebuild begin. If approved. Give Disco secured a shot. They graduate. Good luck!

@FireMedic1 

Curious what is behind this advice??????  And what it means!

Thanks, as always!

I believe PP is referring to the very annoying Capital One habit of never letting you get away from an annual fee.  If you have a card with an annual fee like the QS1, you will never be able to PC it to something without one.  You're better off starting with a Platinum, giving it six months then PC that to a standard QS.  You might miss the CB for those six months but it is more than made up for by the AF you're not paying for a 1.5% CB card.  Cap1 did this to me when I started with them a few years ago, thankfully at that time they were allowing account combinations so I was able to combine my QS1 into my QS.  My understanding is that is no longer an option.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 11 of 72
HowDoesThisAllWork
Frequent Contributor

@EAJuggalo wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Welcome @Binbinimiwi 

Your answer is in your question. FICO likes 3 revolvers and 1 loan for the rebuild bonus. You can try Cap1 pre-qual and see if you are offered a card. Stay away from the QS1. They been handing out a lot of 3000 SL's lately. Once you get to 3 cards. Only have 1 report every month and then PIF before the due date. You already have the loans covered with your SL's. So 2 more cards and let the rebuild begin. If approved. Give Disco secured a shot. They graduate. Good luck!

@FireMedic1 

Thanks, as always!

I believe PP is referring to the very annoying Capital One habit of never letting you get away from an annual fee.  If you have a card with an annual fee like the QS1, you will never be able to PC it to something without one.  You're better off starting with a Platinum, giving it six months then PC that to a standard QS.  You might miss the CB for those six months but it is more than made up for by the AF you're not paying for a 1.5% CB card.  Cap1 did this to me when I started with them a few years ago, thankfully at that time they were allowing account combinations so I was able to combine my QS1 into my QS.  My understanding is that is no longer an option.

@EAJuggalo 

Got it!  Thank you.  I wanted to specifically ask that question so that everyone would see that @FireMedic1 was specifically talking about the QuickSilver One (aka, QS1) - which has an Annual Fee of $95 - and ***NOT*** talking about the QuickSilver (aka, QS) - which does not have an Annual Fee.

It is easy to overlook the difference between the QS1 and QS.......

Thank you!

FICO 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO 9 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Auto 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Auto 9 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Bankcard 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Mortgage 2/4/5 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

Starting Score: Exp 627
Current Score: Exp 713
Goal Score: Exp 750+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 72
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

@EAJuggalo wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Welcome @Binbinimiwi 

@FireMedic1 

Thanks, as always!

@EAJuggalo 

Got it!  Thank you.  I wanted to specifically ask that question so that everyone would see that @FireMedic1 was specifically talking about the QuickSilver One (aka, QS1) - which has an Annual Fee of $95 - and ***NOT*** talking about the QuickSilver (aka, QS) - which does not have an Annual Fee.

Thank you!

$95 now?  I thought it was bad enought at $39 and was glad to be rid of it.

Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 13 of 72
HowDoesThisAllWork
Frequent Contributor

@EAJuggalo wrote:

@EAJuggalo wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Welcome @Binbinimiwi 

@FireMedic1 

Thanks, as always!

@EAJuggalo 

Thank you!

$95 now?  I thought it was bad enought at $39 and was glad to be rid of it.

No, my bad!  Still at $39.  Brain fart moment!

Message 14 of 72
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@HowDoesThisAllWorkThe QS1 is a brick as I used to call it. Doesnt go anywhere. Hard to PC. The Plat is easier to go to a QS than the QS1. See below. Didnt last long. RIP.

Message 15 of 72
Binbinimiwi
Frequent Contributor

And wonder of all wonders .... my score is only showing a 3point drop for both HP's on Experian. I'll have to see next month what TU & EQ look like, but I'm absolutely stunned!! 

>>
FICO8 Scores as of JAN 2021:

FICO8 Scores as of JULY 2023:

FICO9 Scores as of July 2023:

Message 16 of 72
HowDoesThisAllWork
Frequent Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

@HowDoesThisAllWorkThe QS1 is a brick as I used to call it. Doesnt go anywhere. Hard to PC. The Plat is easier to go to a QS than the QS1. See below. Didnt last long. RIP.

Agreed!  I PC'd from the Platnium to the QS.....I was wise on that front (because of this Forum).  RIP indeed! 

Message 17 of 72
Binbinimiwi
Frequent Contributor

I've been researching the forum a bit and lots of people recommended Cap1 for a lot of reasons. I figured out I would like 5 cards total, so I'm looking at the AmEx Gold, NFCU Platinum, and the Cap1 Venture. I was thinking of getting the Platinum and then attempting a PC to the Venture or just doing an app for the Venture. I've received 2 pre-approved mailers for the Platinum from Cap1 in the past 3 months, but ignored it b/c I was afraid to apply for anything at the time. Why is the Platinum a bad idea? What was your experience with it?

>>

Message 18 of 72
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

The CapOne platinum is not a bad idea.  What PP was talking about is that most people who pre-qual on CapOne with low scores are offered the platinum with no AF and the QS1 with a $39 AF.  Many people take the QS1 to get the rewards, when if they would have taken the platinum they could have had a QS with no AF in three months.  

The platinum does not PC to the Venture, it is or was possible to PC to a Venture One.  I would recommend not applying for a Venture until you're scores are at least 720 with an average age of accounts of two years.  Unless you prequal for it.

It's not normally the pulls that kill your score it is the new accounts, when those start reporting you'll see a bigger dip.

Message 19 of 72
Binbinimiwi
Frequent Contributor

Got it! Thanks so much for the explanation about the score drop and the Cap1 cc's. There's so much to understand and learn about it all, which is why I am here. I hope to be able to pay it forward one day by sharing what I've learned with someone else who needs help,

>>

Message 20 of 72
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.