cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some advice on starting the HIPAA process

1dawg
Established Member

Need some advice on starting the HIPAA process

In 2008 my son had a car accident in which all his medical bills were paid by the other drivers insurance. Somehow they took longer on one particular bill which was 488.00. I had no idea that they had sent this into collections so quickly. The bill was paid but it was late and it still shows on my eq and tu reports. Also, they still show unpaid.

I contacted Trans Pecos where the bill originated and they assured me that they have updated their records and have sent a letter to the CA that the bill was paid in full. They also said that NCO the CA that has the charge on my CR will update their records. I am not sure what that means. I don't know if they are going to delete or just update as paid.

Also, before finding this forum I had no idea the right way to dispute. So I have disputes that I created online not in writing. I just looked at my reports and see no indication of any disputes.

My question is should I start the HIPAA process now or wait? As you can imagine my scores have dropped to the low 600's and is very frustrating.

What should I do now?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Need some advice on starting the HIPAA process

I'm sorry to hear about you and your son's misfortunes. Sadly, welcome to the world of med debt, medical billing errors and medical yuck.

Did you pull your EQ and TU reports directly from the CRAs? Are you sure this med collection is not on your EX report too? Aside from this one med collection, are your reports free and clear of other major derogatory items (non-med)?

Message 2 of 10
1dawg
Established Member

I signed up at Transunion and pulled all three there. It is not on experian. Yes all free and clear never missed a payment. I have some debt to clean up but no baddies or missed payments. the only thing killing me is that collections from that medical bill.
Message Edited by 1dawg on 04-27-2009 11:12 PM
Message 3 of 10
HappyDays
Moderator Emeritus

Start the HIPAA process from the beginning. Be sure to use the correct insert on the OC letter.
Message 4 of 10
1dawg
Established Member

Thank you. A couple of questions before I begin. When I opt out do I do it for 5 years or foever? Also, What is the best way to make sure all my info is up to date on my CR
Message 5 of 10
1dawg
Established Member

I have an update and need advise. While I was posting my other reply I was on the phone with Trans Pecos Physicians the original people. I advised them that it was not my fault that the bill was paid late and pleaded with them to have the collections removed from my cr. After about an hour of back and forth the lady contacted the CA and explained my situation and told them it was no my fault etc.. They told her if they agreed they would delete the item off of my CR and it should update in about 30 days. Should I now wait to see if they did it? Or should I ignore that and start the process anyway?

Thank you so much.

Message 6 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Do not start the HIPAA process. Wait for up to 45 days for the CA delete. If they don't, post back in this thread.
Message 7 of 10
1dawg
Established Member

Thanks fused I will keep you posted.
Message 8 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus
Moved:

Message 9 of 10
1dawg
Established Member

Just got an alert from myfico saying my score jumped 36 points! The collection was deleted from my eq credit report. I am not sure if the CA did it as they promised or my dispute letter. whichever it's gone now!! I am very excited. I have not checked my tranunion report yet because I am waiting on some bills i paid off to report. Might as well wait until those are paid to take advantage of the updated report. Thanks to every one here. If it were not for this forum I would have had no idea i could do something about this.

By the way Myfico score for EQ is 679 now and should jump several more points points becuase i have buckled down and paid off some bills! Thank you thank you MyFico!!!!

Message Edited by 1dawg on 05-19-2009 09:04 PM
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.