Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0% utilization rate

tag
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: 0% utilization rate

Yes. That makes a huge difference. Credit Karma scores are not FICO, they are of the Vantage 3 model and weigh various aspects of your credit profile much differently. Vantage and FICO scores can differ by as much as +/- 100 points in some cases.

FICO is the model majority of lenders use to make credit decisions. Vantage is used by very, very few.

There are 28 different versions of your FICO score, with FICO 8 being the most common today.

Mortgage lenders will use one of your 3 mortgage scores : FICO Score 2, FICO Score 4, and FICO Score 5. The mortgage lender will use your "middle score" - which means they throw out the lowest and the highest and use the one in between. So you need to know all 3 to figure out where you stand.

Unfortunately, mortgage scores are not available to consumers for free, and the only place to view and track them is by signing up at myFico.com. myFICO will provide you with all 28 versions of your FICO scores.
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 11 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Woa, okay, that is good to know! 

Even though it is not available for free, where would be the most economical way of checking it (without hurting the score)?

Message 12 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, you said it actually. Myfico.com

Will this hurt my score?

Message 13 of 30
thornback
Senior Contributor

Checking your own scores will never affect your credit.. So no worries there.

On the other side of this forum is myFICO.com (https://www.myfico.com/home_a)

Register and pull a 3-Bureau credit report. You'll need to pick a subscription plan - they range from $29.95 to $39.95 / month depending on the frequency you want the reports updated. Don't pick the $19.95 plan because that will only give scores for one bureau - you need scores for all 3 bureaus.

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 14 of 30
AllZero
Mega Contributor

If you need it now. Follow the above.

if you got time... Free mortgage scores 

Message 15 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

As soon as I started to use the credit card for $12 (6% utilization ratio on $200), my score dropped 4 pts even though I paid the $12 in time.

I tried again. My credit went from $12 to $22, but my score went down 2 points.

Can someone explain why my score dropped in this case even though I did things the right way?

What should I do to get an excellent score while building credit history?

Thank you

Hi John, and welcome.

• You have what's called a 'thin profile'. I have this as well due to only having 2 cards.
  • On this type of profile, there is a 4% aggregate utilization threshold (my proof) for the FICO 8 scores at EQ/TU/EX, but not on the mortgage scores.
  • To see the highest score possible with only 1 card and a $200 limit, let it report between $0 (never $0) and $8 on the closing date. (Even $8.01, a single penny over 8 will be considered as 5% utilization by FICO, and you'll lose a few points.)
  • There is a closing date and a due date.
  • The balance on the closing date is what is used for credit scoring. This is 'locked in' until the next closing date.
  • Between closing dates use that card for stuff you'd pay cash for anyway. If that means running up the balance to $190, that's ok, as long as you pay it down to between $0 and $8 by the closing date. Plenty of students use their Discover secured cards this way and they get great credit limit increases, and a good first credit score after 6 months of history. (I've seen plenty of FICO 8 750 to 760's at the 8 month mark, starting clean, and on the bureaus that don't carry the first inquiry for the card.)
  • Soon after the closing date, just pay the remaining balance which should be between $0 and $8 as above.

All those articles talking about 10% and 30% utilization leave out an important fact: FICO takes the ceiling (rounds up, always an integer) of our utilization before scoring. So, really it's 9% and 29% that you want utilization to be reported at or below, but never zero. This is why $8.01 with your $200 limit would end up being 5% utilization.

Message 16 of 30
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am talking about the score available on creditkarma, calculated using VantageScore 3.0.

Is it that much different from FICO?

You only need to worry about your actual FICO scores period.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 17 of 30
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@AllZero wrote:
You want to be under 8.9% reported aggregate utilization.

0% utilization, you'll receive penalty points.

Greater than 8.9%, you'll receive penalty points.

50% or more of your cards reporting a balance, you'll receive penalty points.

"I opened a secured credit card 18 months ago. This is my first and only card."

The OP only has 1 card.

Message 18 of 30
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Welcome, @Anonymous. Smiley Happy

FICO scores penalize you for having a balance of zero across all cards. It's significant enough that you'll want to avoid this when applying for important credit. If you encounter the "all cards at zero" penalty at other times, it's no big deal as your score will bounce back once a small balance is reported.

With multiple cards, you'll want to leave a small balance (at least $5, but not much more) on one card. With a single card, you'll want to leave a small balance on that one card.

You don't want to go below $5 unless you know your card will report balances less than that. Most banks will forgive tiny balances rather than bothering to bill you. When that happens, they'll report zero.

With a single card with a $200 limit, I'd try to cut your statement between $5 and $8. Which card do you have? Depending on the bank, a balance a little below $5 might be fine.

Message 19 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a Capital One secured credit card, it is called Platinum.

What do you think I could get as a second card?

Should I also ask to get a higher limit on the one  I have?

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.