cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About to buy a car and considering financing if it will help credit ??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

About to buy a car and considering financing if it will help credit ??

Hello,

I am about to purchase a used vehicle in the 10-15k range. My credit score is right at or just above 700 (700-710), and I am considering financing it or some of it, especially if it will improve my credit more quickly for a home I am looking to buy a in 9-12months.

I have credit cards that are paid off monthly as well as a mortgage that I'd paid monthly. I have never had a car or auto loan of any type at any point in my life. Would financing some of this vehicle likely help raise my score more quickly in the next 9months with perfect payments?

Suggestions are appreciated.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
simplegirl
Valued Contributor

Re: About to buy a car and considering financing if it will help credit ??

If you already have a installment loan it probably won’t make much of a difference. Also I see people say you should not get anything 12 months before you get a mortgage.

Starting Score: 494 503 521
Current Score: 503 507 507 2/19
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Goals:

Get First Home in Summer 2025
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have a mortgage already... then you already have an installment loan. 

If you didn't then yes it could be a 30 point gain but, hacking away at your AAOA before a mortgage app isn't a great idea if you don't have to.

To get more pop for your mortgage scores look into AZEO as the less accounts that have a balance garner a higher score.  however, don't pay off everything because it will sink like a rock.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Make sure if you do go this route that you don’t take financing from the dealer. Secure financing with a bank or CU. Many dealer finance companies like Honda and Toyota code on credit reports as a consumer finance account which is a black mark on mortgage and auto scores. 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Acquiring an auto loan now will do more harm than good if you're 9-12 months away from another mortgage, both in terms of Fico scores and in terms of a MR that would no doubt be done at the time of the mortgage.

Message 5 of 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello,

I am about to purchase a used vehicle in the 10-15k range. My credit score is right at or just above 700 (700-710), and I am considering financing it or some of it, especially if it will improve my credit more quickly for a home I am looking to buy a in 9-12months.

I have credit cards that are paid off monthly as well as a mortgage that I'd paid monthly. I have never had a car or auto loan of any type at any point in my life. Would financing some of this vehicle likely help raise my score more quickly in the next 9months with perfect payments?

Suggestions are appreciated.

It won't help your mortgage scores at all. It might hurt them.

The best thing you could do now is NOT apply for any new credit until after the mortgage is obtained.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.