Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t understand why I lost points???

tag
Caught750
Valued Contributor

Can’t understand why I lost points???

The last week or so has been credit as normal yet I lost 6 EQ and 7 TU points in the last few days. Auto loans being paid down on time as normal. Cards being used as normal and reporting (not AZEO). Card balances seem to be the cause but I can’t understand why. I’ll pay them all off if they aren’t on 0% promos but the balances and limits look like;
Venture $710 of $15,000 (5%)
CSP $1,630 of $17,200 (10%)
Altitude Reserve $2,125 of $9,000 (24%)
BBVA $865 of $6,000 (15%)
This totals 6% aggregate utilization, 4 of 18 cards reporting , and 6 of 20 total accounts. Individual utilization is noted behind card balances for ease.

Any suggestions as to what’s happening here? Is it the 25% on AR? I’m saddened as AR is a great card but if I’m gonna be getting banged on Util because of the way they report and the limit I won’t be using it too much.

Looking for causes of drop as I can’t find any. EX hasn’t budged. No changes outside of balances and cards reporting.
PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: Can’t understand why I lost points???

What were your balances before the score decreases? If you increased the number of positive balances and had higher balances, that's generally enough to ding your score. The Experian FICO 8 has a reputation for being a little more patient about this kind of stuff. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good question from HO above, as I was thinking the same thing.  It appears you provided your "after" balances, but without the "before" balances it's impossible to compare and attempt to determine what may have caused your score shift(s).

Message 3 of 19
Caught750
Valued Contributor

I’m fairly certain the number of accounts reporting stayed the same or may have increased by one. The amounts did increase but I’m not positive what they were as I hadn’t been tracking them closely since I just PIF. I don’t understand the drop since I haven’t crossed anything that’s discussed a “threshold” here (sub 8.9% aggregate, sub 28.9% single card, less than 1/3 of accounts).
PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
Message 4 of 19
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Depending on the score, anytime you have more than one card/account with a balance, there's potential for a decrease.

Also, there are some who report dings before reaching 8.9%/28.9%. It's possible that those dings may come due to "balances too high" or "amounts owed too high." I get both of those reason codes on one of my scores despite the fact that I'm only reporting $400 on a single card with a 24k limit. The one lone FICO with those two reasons is two points lower than it was with a $200 balance on a single card with a 7k limit.

Message 5 of 19
Caught750
Valued Contributor

Silliness I tell ya. Follow the rules, as we understand them, and still get dinged.
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
Message 6 of 19
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Caught750 wrote:
I’m fairly certain the number of accounts reporting stayed the same or may have increased by one. The amounts did increase but I’m not positive what they were as I hadn’t been tracking them closely since I just PIF. I don’t understand the drop since I haven’t crossed anything that’s discussed a “threshold” here (sub 8.9% aggregate, sub 28.9% single card, less than 1/3 of accounts).

We don't know everything there is to know about thresholds. We are pretty sure overall should be kept at 9% or less and individual should be kept at 28% or less, but there are sometimes moves based on utilization below those numbers. I certainly have detected, in my own profile, that there is a scoring difference in FICO 8 between 9% overall utilization and 1%.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 19
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@HeavenOhio wrote:

Depending on the score, anytime you have more than one card/account with a balance, there's potential for a decrease.

Also, there are some who report dings before reaching 8.9%/28.9%. It's possible that those dings may come due to "balances too high" or "amounts owed too high." I get both of those reason codes on one of my scores despite the fact that I'm only reporting $400 on a single card with a 24k limit. The one lone FICO with those two reasons is two points lower than it was with a $200 balance on a single card with a 7k limit.

Which score?

EX FICO 2 / 3 are the only ones I've anything like that on and that was for a 27k balance hanging out on a 28k HELOC or so.

        
Message 8 of 19
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Caught750 wrote:
Silliness I tell ya. Follow the rules, as we understand them, and still get dinged.

With all the really nice cards you have, what is the point of worrying about a few points here? Your main weighting is now internal score, and I can't imagine many other cards need to be apped.

AR is indeed giving you excellent rewards, and that seems worth a few points if you dont want to pre-pay before month end.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 19
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@HeavenOhio wrote:

Which score?

EX FICO 2 / 3 are the only ones I've anything like that on and that was for a 27k balance hanging out on a 28k HELOC or so.

Equifax 04 (FICO 5) Bankcard

March 18

$200 balance on a 7k limit card

April 8

all zero

April 12

$400 balance on a 24k limit card

A full list of scores for those dates along with comments on the weird scores (with reason codes) are in my recent AZ thread.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.