cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t understand why I lost points???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can’t understand why I lost points???

My theory is that CB's want to see your ability to pay off debt. I used to pay off the balances before getting reported keeping the balances down but now i let the balances get reported and pay off before the interest in due and report in next cycle. I think for all those people who dont follow their score and use the credit as it makes sence do get more points from Cb's

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My theory is that CB's want to see your ability to pay off debt.

The CB's don't "see" anything, nor do they give points.  All they do is compile data.  That data is used or "seen" by different scoring algorithms (and scores generated) or by human beings to aid in credit making decisions.

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

HO, Were these the cards we discussed before?
Message 13 of 19
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
HO, Were these the cards we discussed before?

It's essentially the same batch of cards. The situation where I was dinged at less than 8%/29% happened two years ago. The ding occurred on FICO 8 when my overall utilization went a hair over 5%. Those scores weren't dinged when I was a smidge under 5%. At the time, I thought there could possibly be an obscure 5% threshold on some scorecards. More recently, the idea of raw balances affecting scores has been brought up.

The example I gave with "balances too high" and "amounts owed too high" is current, i.e. the one score that didn't fully rebound from my recent AZ (all zero) experience. My current overall utilization is .7% (1%) and my current individual card utilization is 1.6% (2%).

@Caught750, you're in a great testing position. You have responsible balances on cards with 0% interest, and you have the ability to pay them off. With the ding coming when you didn't expect it, testing would be valuable to you understanding your profile. And the results would be useful to the community.

One way to go about this would be to bring all balances to 8.9% or less without reducing the number of cards reporting balances. After that, you could gradually reduce the number of cards with balances until you hit AZEO. When you do AZEO, make sure your positive balance is tiny.

Or you could bring yourself to AZEO right away, then increase the number of cards reporting until you encounter a ding.

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chasing750 Are any of your cards retail? If so, how many? Is your profile clean/dirty, what's your AooA and AoYA? I think the increased number of cards reporting by 1 may have done it. But who knows. As HO said, test!

HO I don't think there's a line there, I think it's an amount as you theorize, for what its worth. Also think these retail cards play a part. I just missed a testing opportunity myself and have to wait longer to test something.
Message 15 of 19
Caught750
Valued Contributor

HO, I’m not really into AZEO. I tried it then ventured away and like how things went. I agree it would be interesting to see and I’ll get back to AZEO for the mortgage but that’s about it. I just wanna get back to 2 or 3 cards reporting. Things got spread out for SUBs and what not.

Birdman, I don’t have a single store card. If it weren’t for the offerings from Amazon and Lowe’s I’d say it’ll stay that way but I may pick one or both of those up. My files are all dirty but I’m in flux quite a bit and oddly enough all 3 are vastly different in some way. AoYA seems frozen at 1 or 2 months lol. AAoA varies from 2yrs 11months to 4 years.

NRB kinda nailed it on the head when they said there really isn’t anything else worth applying for, at least not that I need to worry about. I’d like CFU but that’s about it. I’ll just upgrade CSP to CSR. I have an in branch pre approval for CFU now and would probably not apply for anything else for years. That said, I’m holding off (likely for 14 months) as it could be a risky app.
PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Could one of your new cards reporting have dropped your AAoA?

Actually I originally asked about AooA not AAoA, but since you are dirty its irrelevant.
Message 17 of 19
Caught750
Valued Contributor

I shouldn’t have crossed a known threshold with anything
PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Key word "known." We are all here to learn because we don't know everything. With that said, there are many many AAoA thresholds and you may have crossed one when your new accounts averaged into the new age.

Likewise, you reset your AoYA and that may really be what took points, cuz it awards at like 3 and 6 months, so you would have recently received them and then a new account reporting snatches them back. Wait, did we say AoYA awards on dirty scoresheets too? I may have to retract that.

Just a possibility.
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.