Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card balances

tag
armywifelong03
Regular Contributor

Card balances

Hi all! We are preparing for a new construction loan and are working feverishly to pay down our cards. We have impeccable credit but high balances which is weighing our score down a little.

Would it be best to have low balances on all cards (we have two with zero) or we have the opportunity to do a few free balance transfer with a way lower apr. Should we do this and have 3 cards with high balances and 5 with zero? Or lower balances on all cards?
Which would help our score more?
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Card balances

Hi there!

Have you heard of the AZEO method (All Zero Except One)? It's when you allow one card to report a small balance, while the others report zero. If that's possible for you, you should consider doing it. If not, try to lower the balances on all your cards in amount that works for you.  Smiley Wink

More on the AZEO method here: https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/ABCD2199-s-Eleven-Rules-to-Credit-Rebuilding...

Message 2 of 26
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

There's a fine line between higher FICO scores and paying too much in interest.  If the higher FICO scores will result in a loan that saves you enough to offset the higher interest paid on the cards, then that strategy could indeed work out.  Without knowing the limits of the cards and balances, it's difficult to even speculate what would work best for you.  Having balances at or above 30%, 50%, and 90% certainly cause downward movement in scores.  If you have 8 cards then you do take a small penalty for having balances on 50% or more of your cards, so you would at least get those points for only having balances on 3 cards.  So it really depends on how high those balances would be compared to their credit lines.  And of course every credit profile is different so any score reactions are really only educated guesses.

Message 3 of 26
NRB525
Super Contributor

Generally lower balances on fewer cards, and fewer cards with balance is best.

The term “high balances”is easy to misunderstand. Can you list out which cards you have, the limits and last statement balance?
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 26
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@armywifelong03 wrote:
Hi all! We are preparing for a new construction loan and are working feverishly to pay down our cards. We have impeccable credit but high balances which is weighing our score down a little.

Would it be best to have low balances on all cards (we have two with zero) or we have the opportunity to do a few free balance transfer with a way lower apr. Should we do this and have 3 cards with high balances and 5 with zero? Or lower balances on all cards?
Which would help our score more?

If you're preparing for a construction loan you should forget about saving money on interest with balance transfers. You should just be maximizing your mortgage scores.

The best things you can do are:

1. NOT apply for any accounts

2. NOT apply for any CLI's that would invoke a hard pull

3. Try to have as many accounts reporting zero balance as possible, preferably all but one

4. With the one or few that do report a balance, the balance should be as low as possible but more than $5.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 5 of 26
armywifelong03
Regular Contributor

I absolutely will list my cards after dinner. I should also point out that we won’t be to the building point until December. So, we have about 5-6 months to get the work done. I just wasn’t sure if we should work to get them all below 30% and then to ZERO, or pick them off one at a time.
Message 6 of 26
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@armywifelong03 wrote:
I absolutely will list my cards after dinner. I should also point out that we won’t be to the building point until December. So, we have about 5-6 months to get the work done. I just wasn’t sure if we should work to get them all below 30% and then to ZERO, or pick them off one at a time.

Sometimes the choice to pick one option over the other depends on what's achievable under one's current circumstances. Knowing more about your cards may cause one of the options to be an obvious choice for you.

Message 7 of 26
armywifelong03
Regular Contributor

Discover $0/4500
Capital One $0/$1250
JCP (I really want to close this) $0/$4500
Nebraska FM $0/$6900

Chase Sapphire $5000/$6000
USAA Amex $9000/$11,000
NFCU $24,000/$27,000 (This one is our HUGE goal, we had a period during my husband’s military retirement when we were supporting two household 1,000 miles apart)
Military Star Card $3500/7500

Message 8 of 26
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I'd aim to pay off the Military Star Card and get the others to 27% or below. That allows you to have less than half of your cards reporting positive balances, which FICO likes. And it brings the other three cards into "responsible borrowing" territory.

Keep in mind that "below 30% actually means 28.9% or below. Getting down to 27% should be good enough to absorb the interest on the next month's statement without bumping you back over 28.9%.

Also note that when FICO looks at individual card utilization, it looks at your card whose utilization is the highest.

Message 9 of 26
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@armywifelong03 wrote:

@Anonymous order in which you do it doesn't matter, because the numbers won't count until the last few months before applying for the loan. At that time, the more zeroes you have the better, and the lower the utilization percentage on your highest utilization percentage card the better. As @HeavenOhio wisely points out, (a) you should get rid of the small balance, so that you'll be down to 3 accounts carrying balances,  (b) you should bring the other accounts down evenly from a percentage perspective, since the one with the highest percentage will be the one dragging your scores down, and (c) it would be good if you could get everything down to 28% or less.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.