Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card balance

tag
Gmv
Established Member

Credit card balance

I paid down my chase freedom flex balance to zero and my transunion score went down 7 points why is this? Credit line is 5k on card as well. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Lou-natic
Established Contributor

Re: Credit card balance

Is it your only card? If so then that's why.

3/3/24
Message 2 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Gmv wrote:

I paid down my chase freedom flex balance to zero and my transunion score went down 7 points why is this? Credit line is 5k on card as well. 

1. I don't know what your "transunion score" is.

2. We would need to know what the scoring model is, and what the status is of your other accounts, to give you an answer as to why this occurred.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 10
Gmv
Established Member

1. Score was 690 

2. scoring model is my-FICO and my other credit card (capital one venture)  is paid off every month so balance is zero. Only two credit cards I have. 

Message 4 of 10
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Gmv wrote:

1. Score was 690 

2. scoring model is my-FICO and my other credit card (capital one venture)  is paid off every month so balance is zero. Only two credit cards I have. 

If you only have 2 cards and they both report zero you will lose a few points . Just leave a small balance report score should bounce back up .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 5 of 10
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@Gmv wrote:

1. Score was 690 

FICO hits you with an all zero penalty when you have all revolvers showing 0 balance. People get sore over this, thinking it is because you "need to be in debt" to have a higher score. The reasoning is that when all cards have a 0 balance, it appears you are not using your credit at all. This is due to FICO scoring currently having no memory of balances from month to month, it is mearly a snapshot of your accounts at any one single moment. A borrower that uses no credit is historically more of a risk than a borrower that uses a little credit responsibly. When you pay off a Chase card to 0, it will report to the bureaus at a 0 balance even if it is the middle of a billing cycle when it would not normally report. This is a quirky think about Chase revolving accounts and why your score dropped when you paid the card off. In short, let one card report a minimal balance each month for an optimal credit score. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 6 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Gmv wrote:

1. Score was 690 

I still don't know what the scoring model is.

But I can tell you that if you only have 2 credit cards, and they both reported a zero balance, you got the "all zero penalty".

The way to avoid that in the future is to let one card report a small balance before you pay it off.

Message 7 of 10
Gmv
Established Member

Understood. What do you mean by scoring mode for future reference? I took that as either fico or vantage scoring models. 

Message 8 of 10
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

@Gmv wrote:

Understood. What do you mean by scoring mode for future reference? I took that as either fico or vantage scoring models. 

What PP is referring to is which FICO model.  Different models have different weights and different things they look for.  Currently used regularly for credit decisions are I believe 2,4,5,8 and 9.  Most of what gets posted and talked about here are FICO 8s.  You'll see some discussion of FICO 9s, especially with regards to Credit Unions.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 9 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Gmv wrote:

There are about 7 or 8 different TransUnion FICO scores.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.