Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit mix - what am I missing?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit mix - what am I missing?

Experian presents a view of your score, by category.

What am i missing.png

My ratings in the categories are Good, Exceptional, Exceptional, Poor, and Very Good, as shown above in the, "Credit mix," category.  Their graphic sort of implies that I'm missing something. My open accounts are:

2 mortgages

3 credit cards, as primary, shown in sig

1 credit card, as authorized user, on secured Cap1 M/C with CL of $851

What is required to move the bar in the Credit mix category to Exceptional?

Message 1 of 51
50 REPLIES 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit mix - what am I missing?

There’s really nothing missing in terms of scoring factors. Possibly they feel more accounts would help. Mine shows Very Good also for the same factors. Don’t sweat it though - that verbiage is front-end fluff. The score numbers matter, not the descriptors. You have what you need.
Message 2 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Great reply above siting the front-end fluff from CMS software.  There is no moving to "exceptional" because it doesn't exist... none of those arbitrary categories exist really.  Either your credit mix is maximized or it's not and in your case it is.  You have revolvers and at least one open installment loan, so you're in the best place you can be with an ideal credit mix from the lens of the FICO algorithm.

Message 3 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

ITD and BBS, thank you for the responses. Just wanted to ensure I had all of the bases covered.

Within the requirements backlog of Experian's website content product manager, there had to be some method to attain Exceptional in Experian's category rating? Despite the fluff of their made-up descriptions, I would agree with the assignment of their ratings to my other categories. I wonder if anyone out there in MyFico land has Exceptional in this category, and would be curious to learn about their credit mix.

Message 4 of 51
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Great reply above siting the front-end fluff from CMS software.  There is no moving to "exceptional" because it doesn't exist... none of those arbitrary categories exist really.  Either your credit mix is maximized or it's not and in your case it is.  You have revolvers and at least one open installment loan, so you're in the best place you can be with an ideal credit mix from the lens of the FICO algorithm.

Mine is "excellent" according to front-end fluff, but I have the same 3 entries as OP.

credit mix.jpg

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 5 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

SJ, in that case, your rating of Excellent may be due to the enormity of your profile/portfolio.
Message 6 of 51
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
SJ, in that case, your rating of Excellent may be due to the enormity of your profile/portfolio.

Maybe. But I wouldn't recommend anyone going for "enormity" Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 51
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

ITD and BBS, thank you for the responses. Just wanted to ensure I had all of the bases covered.

Within the requirements backlog of Experian's website content product manager, there had to be some method to attain Exceptional in Experian's category rating? Despite the fluff of their made-up descriptions, I would agree with the assignment of their ratings to my other categories. I wonder if anyone out there in MyFico land has Exceptional in this category, and would be curious to learn about their credit mix.

I have the exact same language on the EX site as you do, only mine is supposedly "exceptional" as opposed to "very good".

What my profile has is lots of open and closed credit cards, 1 open and 6 closed installment accounts, and some personal lines of credit which are listed as revolving accounts but might not be considered "bank" cards.

Message 8 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

SJ, thank you for confirming the existence of Exceptional!

Over the next few years as I slowly rebuild, I will continue to check my, "Credit mix," rating. I do not plan to become SJJ (junior) though, so hopefully ~5 or so card accounts does the trick. We shall see!

Message 9 of 51
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

SJ, thank you for confirming the existence of Exceptional!

Over the next few years as I slowly rebuild, I will continue to check my, "Credit mix," rating. I do not plan to become SJJ (junior) though, so hopefully ~5 or so card accounts does the trick. We shall see!

Thank goodness you are smarter than I am Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.