Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted collections causing score decrease

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Deleted collections causing score decrease

Hello!
I’m new to this forum however have had myFICO since 2012 and monitor regularly. The first several years in algorithm made sense as activities/actions would take place. However, the past 2 years or so have shown perceived significant change to algorithms and results to my scores. Most recent of many similar ex: a collection was just deleted, yet caused score to drop by 12 points. I have kept of with the FAQ and researched all the ways to improve credit and have followed suit. Not ONE late payment, no baddies, etc.. with exception to several medical bills posted. Otherwise perfect and responsible activity. My score however doesn’t budge out of low to mid sixes. Lowered cc and mortgage balances sometimes help and sometimes hurt.
Any ideas as to why??
Thanks!
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Deleted collections causing score decrease

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello!
I’m new to this forum however have had myFICO since 2012 and monitor regularly. The first several years in algorithm made sense as activities/actions would take place. However, the past 2 years or so have shown perceived significant change to algorithms and results to my scores. Most recent of many similar ex: a collection was just deleted, yet caused score to drop by 12 points. I have kept of with the FAQ and researched all the ways to improve credit and have followed suit. Not ONE late payment, no baddies, etc.. with exception to several medical bills posted. Otherwise perfect and responsible activity. My score however doesn’t budge out of low to mid sixes. Lowered cc and mortgage balances sometimes help and sometimes hurt.
Any ideas as to why??
Thanks!

1. Contrary to your headline, removal of a collection item would never cause a score decrease.

2. Medical collections being added to your report would cause score decreases.

3. Lowering a mortgage balance would never cause a score decrease.

4. Lowering a credit card balance would never cause a score decrease (unless all revolving balances were at zero, in which case a temporary score decrease might occur in some scoring models).

Bottom line: you're going to need to take a much closer look at your reports if you're going to find out what you need to do to pick up your scores. If you give us detailed information, we'll probably be able to answer your presently unanswerable question.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your prompt response!
According to MyFICO alerts, it stated that the change in score was from a deleted collection (wish I can post a screen shot of it here- perhaps I am reading the alert wrong, but pretty sure not).
I have printed my detailed credit from all three and see that in total were 17 medical collections from over the course of 6 years. I completely agree with what you detailed above which is why my eyebrow is raised with this one.
Message 3 of 18
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you for your prompt response!
According to MyFICO alerts, it stated that the change in score was from a deleted collection (wish I can post a screen shot of it here- perhaps I am reading the alert wrong, but pretty sure not).
I have printed my detailed credit from all three and see that in total were 17 medical collections from over the course of 6 years. I completely agree with what you detailed above which is why my eyebrow is raised with this one.

You are absolutely reading it wrong. A common mistake among MyFICO subscribers.

MyFICO alerts don't provide reasons for a score change. There are certain events which trigger MyFICO alerts. If there happens to be any difference between your present score at that particular bureau and the previous score reported to you from that bureau, the score change is tacked on to the alert. There is not necessarily any connection at all between the score change and the alert substance.

MyFICO explains this in the "learn more" link contained in the alert:

"Why did my score go up when I got an alert for something negative (or why did my score go down when I got an alert for something positive)?
The short answer: Your FICO® Score may change because of other events not monitored by an alert.
Whenever we send you a credit alert, we also send an updated FICO Score. To ensure you get the most current score, we calculate it based on your entire credit report at that point in time—not just the new information on the alert. This means your new score may reflect other changes that are outside of the things we watch for (see everything we monitor).
Sometimes you may see your score increase when you think it should’ve decreased, and vice-versa, but you’ll always have your most up-to-date and accurate score."

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 18
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Deleted collection would not cause a score drop. If one gets deleted, but others remain, there may not be any changes at all.

If there are no utilization changes, or number of cards reporting balances, I'd look for collection that may not have been reporting every month, but did so at the time you saw score decrease.
Scoring drop can occur if collection is paid to $0.00 but it stayed on your report. It's the update to negative account that causes the drop, not the payment.

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much! It was not paid but deleted because of tenure of debt. Is the drop of 12 points from it just updating as having been deleted? No other collections have hit at same time that I can see from detailed reports, but will triple check.
Thanks again for your assistance!
Message 6 of 18
Remedios
Credit Mentor

No, if it got deleted, it would not have caused the drop.
Update on collections that are still unpaid would cause drop.
Also, look at utilization on your cards.
Did it increase? Any new accounts?
MyFico alerts are not recieved in real time, there is some lag there, so if you got the alert today, change could have happened days ago, if not longer.
Easiest way to do this is to look at report before and after change to see what's different. There are too many moving parts to be able to accurately answer it without having a complete picture.
Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great feedback, thank you! Will do!
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

"with exception to several medical bills posted. Otherwise perfect and responsible activity. My score however doesn’t budge out of low to mid sixes."

can you clarify this part? Medical bills do not generally post on your credit report unless they are collections. If you have multiple medical collections on your report that is why your score is not moving. The most damaging item gives you a max scoring penalty. When other items fall off or get removed your score will not improve until the max penalty item goes away. Also one of those medical collections could have updated and that could account for the 12 points

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your response and help! I meant that the collections are all unpaid medical collections with most recent being in October of 2018. 2 days ago, a drop of 12 points was reported and when looking at “reason why”, it stated that a collection had been deleted. I thought that would help my score but it dropped instead. I didn’t think it would count as an update as it would had I paid it and therefore causing it to update as recent.
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.