Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First 800 Credit Score!

tag
JNA1
Valued Contributor

First 800 Credit Score!

My goal is still to get to 800+ on FICO 8, but my FICO 9 Equifax score has made it to 800 for the time ever. I'd had my VantageScore dip up above 800, but I never really counted that.

There's no way I could have done this without the help and advice from the good folks here. I got my first credit card 2 1/2 years ago after thinking credit cards were "Da Debbil" my whole life. My total CL without my wife's included is over $100K and we are earning a lot of cash back paying for things we were paying for anyway. 

It's a great place to be! 
Thank you MFers! 😉😂

FD87C112-98BD-433F-B808-C78D2B1FD0EE.jpeg

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

11 REPLIES 11
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

Re: First 800 Credit Score!

woot, woot... Congrats on your milestone. 800 is awesome 👏🙏

Message 2 of 12
Trudy
Valued Contributor

Way to go! Congrats!  Your 8's should get there if you keep up whatever you've been doing to get your EQ9 to crossoverSmiley Wink

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 3 of 12
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your success!
Message 4 of 12
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

Grtz on making 800!

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JNA1 wrote:

My goal is still to get to 800+ on FICO 8, but my FICO 9 Equifax score has made it to 800 for the time ever. I'd had my VantageScore dip up above 800, but I never really counted that.

There's no way I could have done this without the help and advice from the good folks here. I got my first credit card 2 1/2 years ago after thinking credit cards were "Da Debbil" my whole life. My total CL without my wife's included is over $100K and we are earning a lot of cash back paying for things we were paying for anyway. 

It's a great place to be! 
Thank you MFers! 😉😂

FD87C112-98BD-433F-B808-C78D2B1FD0EE.jpeg

Congratulations - but remember - what FICO giveth, FICO will taketh away. Six months ago I had all 3 scores over 800. I had two installment loans (a mortgage and a car loan) and credit card utilization of 0%. When I paid off the mortgage and the car loan and became debt free I was promptly thrown out of the 800 club at all three bureaus, costing me 40-60 points at each Bureau. Just remember - at FICO - no good deed (meaning paying off a debt) goes unpunished.

Message 6 of 12
Credit4Growth
Senior Contributor

Congratulations... 👍

& again, congrats!  I can wait 'till I can get close! 🤤

Message 7 of 12
MudkipsRKooL
Regular Contributor

I'm really interested in how you got so many  cards in 3 years time and also kept your credit score up. Amazing I think i'm still a few years behind at least 2-3, looking to learn from you! My score peaked or been staying the same since I've gotten 3 credit cards, so I'm wondering what you're doing that helping. Current credit score simulators have me dropping 20-30 points for apping for more cards and only +1 points for 10K CLI. If i kept gardening for 24 months I only net about a measly 20 points. about 10-20 points shorts of passing 800.

Current score: 778ex | 774tu | 777eq
INQ status: 1/24, 1/12

Currrent Cards:

Future:
Message 8 of 12
joeyv1985
Frequent Contributor

@MudkipsRKooL wrote:

I'm really interested in how you got so many  cards in 3 years time and also kept your credit score up. Amazing I think i'm still a few years behind at least 2-3, looking to learn from you! My score peaked or been staying the same since I've gotten 3 credit cards, so I'm wondering what you're doing that helping. Current credit score simulators have me dropping 20-30 points for apping for more cards and only +1 points for 10K CLI. If i kept gardening for 24 months I only net about a measly 20 points. about 10-20 points shorts of passing 800.

Hello @MudkiipsRKool, 
Due to mitigating circumstances, I was in a credit repair mode for the past 7 years or so. I went from secured credit cards to 2nd tier cards during that period. Once my last baddy fell off my report in Q4 2019, my score jumped to over 700 from 570/620 in about a month and I dumped the 2nd tier cards and applied for better CC's like the CSP and Citi DC/AAD. I adhered to the 5/24 rule, paid my bills IF and just remained disciplined(think low CU's). At this point, I'll just keep my spending in check and do a little gardening for the next 12-18 months or so. I have no real need to apply for a new CC or loan. Speaking on the latter, I have an auto refi that I did about a year ago(36 months) and have only about 33% left. I'd like to pay it off now, but I'll probably stretch it out until the EOY just to keep climbing the FICO score latter.  

Message 9 of 12
joeyv1985
Frequent Contributor

@Credit4Growth wrote:

Congratulations... 👍

& again, congrats!  I can wait 'till I can get close! 🤤

You can do it @Credit4Growth.  It takes time and sticking to a game plan. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.