cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think its time to remove myself from the AU accounts I am, how much of a score drop can I expect?

tag
AzCreditGuy
Established Contributor

I think its time to remove myself from the AU accounts I am, how much of a score drop can I expect?

As my credit rebuilding journey is coming to end and I am at 800+  for credit scores on the big 3, I am thinking of removing myself from 3 AU accounts. Thanks to @Anonymous informing me of the AU penalty, I am thinking the AU accounts have served the purpose of my credit rebuild and I would like to remove the AU penalty from my credit profile. 

Current with AU accounts total credit 

Ex $81, 950 

If removed AU accounts would be $56,850 

EQ $81,950 

TU $79,350

If removed AU accounts would $56,850

If AU accounts are removed my total credit would be balanced now and no more AU penalty if a AU account is not being used 

9 REPLIES 9
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: I think its time to remove myself from the AU accounts I am, how much of a score drop can I expe

@AzCreditGuy wrote:

As my credit rebuilding journey is coming to end and I am at 800+  for credit scores on the big 3, I am thinking of removing myself from 3 AU accounts. Thanks to @Anonymous informing me of the AU penalty, I am thinking the AU accounts have served the purpose of my credit rebuild and I would like to remove the AU penalty from my credit profile. 

Ex $81, 950 

EQ $81,950 

TU $79,350

If AU accounts are removed my total credit would be balanced now and no more AU penalty if a AU account is not being used 

I have four AU accounts.   I'm confused about the AU penalty you are speaking of.   I recently learned that when all my revolvers reported zero but one of the AU accounts reported a balance, I lost the 20 points for no revolver reporting a balance.   In other words, FICO did not count the small balance on the AU card.  

Most months the AU's I have all report a zero balance and I haven't seen any score gyrations.   Can you explain the AU penalty you refer to?   Thanks.

Message 2 of 10
AzCreditGuy
Established Contributor

Re: I think its time to remove myself from the AU accounts I am, how much of a score drop can I expe

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

@AzCreditGuy wrote:

Ex $81, 950 

EQ $81,950 

TU $79,350

I have four AU accounts.   I'm confused about the AU penalty you are speaking of.   I recently learned that when all my revolvers reported zero but one of the AU accounts reported a balance, I lost the 20 points for no revolver reporting a balance.   In other words, FICO did not count the small balance on the AU card.  

Most months the AU's I have all report a zero balance and I haven't seen any score gyrations.   Can you explain the AU penalty you refer to?   Thanks.

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished I had the opposite issue I got a AU penalty when my 2 reported AU reported zeros on EX ....with AU accounts you have to have at least 1 reporting or else you will get AU penalty for zero reporting.

Message 3 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@AzCreditGuy wrote:

Ex $81, 950 

EQ $81,950 

TU $79,350

You're not going to believe this, but there are 2 All Zero penalties for people who are AU's on someone else's cards.

There's one All Zero penalty for your own cards.

And there's another All Zero penalty for your AU cards.

I thought it was crazy when I first learned of it, but then I personally tested it. Someone who has been maintaining AZEO, but is also an AU on 1 of my cards which usually reports at zero, experienced a nice point gain when I left $10 on my card.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 10
dragontears
Senior Contributor

The trick is, the AU account has to "count" for the algorithm i.e. not being excluded by the anti-abuse algorithm, for the AU penalty to be observed. 

OP what is your reported usage? Limits themselves don't change FICO scores 

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AzCreditGuy wrote:

Ex $81, 950 

EQ $81,950 

TU $79,350

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished if you have at least one of your AUs reporting a balance and then they all report zero balances and you don't see score gyrations, and as @dragontears correctly observed, they are not counting on version 8/9, the anti-abuse algorithm got them. that's how you test to see if they're counting actually. 

Message 6 of 10
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@AzCreditGuy wrote:

Ex $81, 950 

EQ $81,950 

TU $79,350

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished if you have at least one of your AUs reporting a balance and then they all report zero balances and you don't see score gyrations, and as @dragontears correctly observed, they are not counting on version 8/9, the anti-abuse algorithm got them. that's how you test to see if they're counting actually. 

Thanks Birdman.    I did have the situation a couple of months ago where I had none of my own revolvers reporting, but one of my AU accounts reported a small balance and I lost 20 points.    My AU accounts are counting for AAofA, at least per the posted calculation of AAofA.   

Two of my terminated accounts (now closed) were from my parents who have now passed.   Those two accounts were opened back in the 1980s.  

My husband has me on 2 of his accounts as an AU, and those accunts are from the 1990s/early 2000s.   These accounts are open and never report a balance because I have the cards and he can't use them.   (He has one Alaska Airlines card he gets to use).

And my best friend has me on her 1993 BofA account.  

Because virtually all of my old revolvers fell off at 7 years post filing, these AU accounts are propping me up in terms of age.  I do now have 28 accounts closed from post-2013 BK filing that are helping with age, but many will drop off in a few more years since I have closed them.

I do find the AU thing confusing.   I wish I could get my BF to go a month with no balance reporting, but I can't really ask her to do that.   I met her working at the old WAMU in 1981 and she recently retired as a SVP for Chase.    Her reported balances are only like $500/month.   God knows she has never had a late payment in her life or worried about her FICO score.   (I recently pulled it for her and it's like 820 FICO 8).   She is like most normal people -- she has two credit cards and could care less about her scores.    She has never messed up.  And her total credit limits are like 20K, which she thinks is a crazy is high amount of potential debt.   LOL.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@AzCreditGuy wrote:

Ex $81, 950 

EQ $81,950 

TU $79,350

Thanks Birdman.    I did have the situation a couple of months ago where I had none of my own revolvers reporting, but one of my AU accounts reported a small balance and I lost 20 points.    My AU accounts are counting for AAofA, at least per the posted calculation of AAofA.   

Two of my terminated accounts (now closed) were from my parents who have now passed.   Those two accounts were opened back in the 1980s.  

My husband has me on 2 of his accounts as an AU, and those accunts are from the 1990s/early 2000s.   These accounts are open and never report a balance because I have the cards and he can't use them.   (He has one Alaska Airlines card he gets to use).

Because virtually all of my old revolvers fell off at 7 years post filing, these AU accounts are propping me up in terms of age.  I do now have 28 accounts closed from post-2013 BK filing that are helping with age, but many will drop off in a few more years since I have closed them.

I do find the AU thing confusing.   I wish I could get my BF to go a month with no balance reporting, but I can't really ask her to do that.   I met her working at the old WAMU in 1981 and she recently retired as a SVP for Chase.    Her reported balances are only like $500/month.   God knows she has never had a late payment in her life or worried about her FICO score.   (I recently pulled it for her and it's like 820 FICO 8).   She is like most normal people -- she has two credit cards and could care less about her scores.    She has never messed up.  And her total credit limits are like 20K, which she thinks is a crazy is high amount of potential debt.   LOL.

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished well when you saw that loss that was because you had no primaries reporting a balance that was just the primary AZ loss. But for your authorize user accounts, you could have some of them counting and some of them that are not. But if you had all of them that are counting report a zero balance, you would see a loss on F8/9.

Message 8 of 10
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@AzCreditGuy wrote:

Ex $81, 950 

EQ $81,950 

TU $79,350

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished well when you saw that loss that was because you had no primaries reporting a balance that was just the primary AZ loss. But for your authorize user accounts, you could have some of them counting and some of them that are not. But if you had all of them that are counting report a zero balance, you would see a loss on F8/9.

Okay, so question.   When I have no revolvers reporting, I lose about 20 points.   Fine.   But let's say that none of my primary cards report nor any of my AU revolvers report.  Would I see a 20 point loss + 20 point loss = 40 point loss total?    Please help me with this.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@AzCreditGuy wrote:

Ex $81, 950 

EQ $81,950 

TU $79,350

Okay, so question.   When I have no revolvers reporting, I lose about 20 points.   Fine.   But let's say that none of my primary cards report nor any of my AU revolvers report.  Would I see a 20 point loss + 20 point loss = 40 point loss total?    Please help me with this.

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished you've got the right idea. If you have authorized user accounts that are counting, they have their own separate independent AU AZ loss on 8/9 as noted above. So yes you could have a 20 point loss for each or you could have a 10 point loss for each, it depends on your profile. But it only comes into play when all of that subcategory are reporting zero.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.