cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting FICO Score change

SteelCity66
Valued Contributor

Interesting FICO Score change

My oldest CC was opened in 2000 - my Capital One Platinum VISA. After I paid it off back in November, it sat dormant and my new cards took over. I don't want to close it so I decided I better use it before I lose it. Today gave me a little chuckle, but also found it interesting that this can actually positively affect my score:

 

fico.jpg



EQ: 820 || TU: 825 || EX: 812 (From CCT: 7/20/17) || Garden since 1/5/18. CapOne Quicksilver $22k || Home Depot $16k || Lowes $16k || DiscoverIT $27.5k || BofA Rewards $15k || Barclay Ring $10k || BJ's Perks $13.5k || PSECU $9k || Chase Freedom $7k || AMEX BCE $17.1k || USBank Cash+ $12K || Citi DC $8K || FNBO Sheetz $6K || PSECU Founders $5K || PayPal Credit $4K ||
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
tufa4311
Established Contributor

Re: Interesting FICO Score change

Did it continue to report an "ok" status through those 6 months of inactivity?

796 TU FICO 08 (08/2018)
758 TU FICO 08 (01/12/2016)
753 TU FICO 08 (11/21/2015)
740: EQ Score Power (Beacon 5.0) FICO 04 (01/23/2015)
755 TU FICO 08 (01/21/2015)
652 TU Lender Pull (06/10/2014)
665 TU FICO 08 (05/21/2014)
Goal: 800+
Message 2 of 9
SteelCity66
Valued Contributor

Re: Interesting FICO Score change


@tufa4311 wrote:

Did it continue to report an "ok" status through those 6 months of inactivity?


Yes it did - Only EX has it for May, the other two don't have it listed for May yet though. Maybe those scores will go up a point or two. It just was surprising to see it go up at all.



EQ: 820 || TU: 825 || EX: 812 (From CCT: 7/20/17) || Garden since 1/5/18. CapOne Quicksilver $22k || Home Depot $16k || Lowes $16k || DiscoverIT $27.5k || BofA Rewards $15k || Barclay Ring $10k || BJ's Perks $13.5k || PSECU $9k || Chase Freedom $7k || AMEX BCE $17.1k || USBank Cash+ $12K || Citi DC $8K || FNBO Sheetz $6K || PSECU Founders $5K || PayPal Credit $4K ||
Message 3 of 9
tufa4311
Established Contributor

Re: Interesting FICO Score change


@Vulcan1600 wrote:

@tufa4311 wrote:

Did it continue to report an "ok" status through those 6 months of inactivity?


Yes it did - Only EX has it for May, the other two don't have it listed for May yet though. Maybe those scores will go up a point or two. It just was surprising to see it go up at all.


Well if that's the case then...it has been stated many times here that is doesn't matter which cards you use for your UTIL and that you don't need to rotate. I like to rotate to give the luv back if you will, and to show usage. This seems to be saying that indeed it does matter that all your cards get usage, even if they keep reporting without usage. No usage for a certain period of time equals an inactive card that, when made active again, increases your score? Thoughts?

 

I assume the first comment will be that we don't know that the reason for the one point score increase was the card returning to an active state (even if FICO says that's the reason).

796 TU FICO 08 (08/2018)
758 TU FICO 08 (01/12/2016)
753 TU FICO 08 (11/21/2015)
740: EQ Score Power (Beacon 5.0) FICO 04 (01/23/2015)
755 TU FICO 08 (01/21/2015)
652 TU Lender Pull (06/10/2014)
665 TU FICO 08 (05/21/2014)
Goal: 800+
Message 4 of 9
SteelCity66
Valued Contributor

Re: Interesting FICO Score change


@tufa4311 wrote:

@Vulcan1600 wrote:

@tufa4311 wrote:

Did it continue to report an "ok" status through those 6 months of inactivity?


Yes it did - Only EX has it for May, the other two don't have it listed for May yet though. Maybe those scores will go up a point or two. It just was surprising to see it go up at all.


Well if that's the case then...it has been stated many times here that is doesn't matter which cards you use for your UTIL and that you don't need to rotate. I like to rotate to give the luv back if you will, and to show usage. This seems to be saying that indeed it does matter that all your cards get usage, even if they keep reporting without usage. No usage for a certain period of time equals an inactive card that, when made active again, increases your score? Thoughts?

 

I assume the first comment will be that we don't know that the reason for the one point score increase was the card returning to an active state (even if FICO says that's the reason).


That's why I posted in my first message - it points to the 1 point increase due to using a previously inactive card. I guess it shows I'll never understand FICO scoring!



EQ: 820 || TU: 825 || EX: 812 (From CCT: 7/20/17) || Garden since 1/5/18. CapOne Quicksilver $22k || Home Depot $16k || Lowes $16k || DiscoverIT $27.5k || BofA Rewards $15k || Barclay Ring $10k || BJ's Perks $13.5k || PSECU $9k || Chase Freedom $7k || AMEX BCE $17.1k || USBank Cash+ $12K || Citi DC $8K || FNBO Sheetz $6K || PSECU Founders $5K || PayPal Credit $4K ||
Message 5 of 9
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Interesting FICO Score change

How much was the new balance reporting on this CapOne card?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
Message 6 of 9
SteelCity66
Valued Contributor

Re: Interesting FICO Score change

Less than $30.


EQ: 820 || TU: 825 || EX: 812 (From CCT: 7/20/17) || Garden since 1/5/18. CapOne Quicksilver $22k || Home Depot $16k || Lowes $16k || DiscoverIT $27.5k || BofA Rewards $15k || Barclay Ring $10k || BJ's Perks $13.5k || PSECU $9k || Chase Freedom $7k || AMEX BCE $17.1k || USBank Cash+ $12K || Citi DC $8K || FNBO Sheetz $6K || PSECU Founders $5K || PayPal Credit $4K ||
Message 7 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Interesting FICO Score change

That message is an information message configurable in the interface for Equifax.  Can set it for 3 months as an example, more of a fraud prevention / unexpected use notification.

 

No bearing on FICO scoring.




        
Message 8 of 9
CAPTOOL
Senior Contributor

Re: Interesting FICO Score change


@Vulcan1600 wrote:

@tufa4311 wrote:

@Vulcan1600 wrote:

@tufa4311 wrote:

Did it continue to report an "ok" status through those 6 months of inactivity?


Yes it did - Only EX has it for May, the other two don't have it listed for May yet though. Maybe those scores will go up a point or two. It just was surprising to see it go up at all.


Well if that's the case then...it has been stated many times here that is doesn't matter which cards you use for your UTIL and that you don't need to rotate. I like to rotate to give the luv back if you will, and to show usage. This seems to be saying that indeed it does matter that all your cards get usage, even if they keep reporting without usage. No usage for a certain period of time equals an inactive card that, when made active again, increases your score? Thoughts?

 

I assume the first comment will be that we don't know that the reason for the one point score increase was the card returning to an active state (even if FICO says that's the reason).


That's why I posted in my first message - it points to the 1 point increase due to using a previously inactive card. I guess it shows I'll never understand FICO scoring!


I don't think anybody understands Fico scoring. Including Fico. It's been taken over by the machines and is now beyond the grasp of humans.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.