Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Penfed app shows 999 as FICO Score

tag
Credit_Flavours
Regular Contributor

Penfed app shows 999 as FICO Score

Hello everyone.

I need some help understanding this. I recently discovered that the penfed app now shows fico scores under the "tools" botton. However i was really suprised and confused to see a score of 999 and remarks "Exceptional" and it showed that it was updated on 12/8/2018.

Can anyone please help me understand what might be going on here. Is it just an error or do they have different scoring models for each customer.

Please note i got the membership in april 2018 but wasnt approved for credit cards cause my EQ file was missing. I was later approved for an Access America checking acct in October..

Thanks. I look forward to your responses.

12 REPLIES 12
CramEiko
Established Contributor

Re: Penfed app shows 999 as FICO Score

@Credit_Flavours wrote:

Hello everyone.

I need some help understanding this. I recently discovered that the penfed app now shows fico scores under the "tools" botton. However i was really suprised and confused to see a score of 999 and remarks "Exceptional" and it showed that it was updated on 12/8/2018.

Can anyone please help me understand what might be going on here. Is it just an error or do they have different scoring models for each customer.

Please note i got the membership in april 2018 but wasnt approved for credit cards cause my EQ file was missing. I was later approved for an Access America checking acct in October..

I'm sure it's a technical hiccup. As they max out at 850 on a range of "min 300 - 850". 

Updated Feb 2023:
Citi Double Cash: $26,300
Citi Costco: $33,800
PenFed Power Cash: $50,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited: $33,400
NFCU Cash Rewards: $29,000
BoA Unlimited Cash: $99,900
Wells Fargo Active Cash: $50,000
Citi AAdvantage Executive: $30,500
Wells Fargo Mortgage 30yr fixed 3.625%

Business Cards:
BoA Business Advantage Unlimited Cash: $8,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000

RIP: EECU PLOC | BBVA PLOC | Chase SP | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | WF Propel | Cap1 QS | AMEX Gold | BoA Custom Cash | Lowes | Barclays Aviator Red
Message 2 of 13
Credit_Flavours
Regular Contributor

@CramEiko wrote:

@Credit_Flavours wrote:

Hello everyone.

I'm sure it's a technical hiccup. As they max out at 850 on a range of "min 300 - 850". 

Thanks for the quick response. That is what i thought too but felt i should report it on this board in case someone has a different information.

Thank you once again.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you certain that PenFed states that this is a FICO score?  There are many non-FICO models out there which can have much higher ranges.

If the PenFed app definitely calls it a FICO score, then it must be a computer glitch.  The "999" sounds like the sort of thing a CMS developer might write as a line of code to flag a profile it couldn't score or to otherwise flag something going haywire. 

It would be interesting to hear what PenFed says if you decide to give them a call about it.

BTW, have you pulled your FICO 8 scores recently?  (This can be done at almost no cost.)  Be interesting to hear what those are by comparison.

Message 4 of 13
Credit_Flavours
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Are you certain that PenFed states that this is a FICO score?  There are many non-FICO models out there which can have much higher ranges.

If the PenFed app definitely calls it a FICO score, then it must be a computer glitch.  The "999" sounds like the sort of thing a CMS developer might write as a line of code to flag a profile it couldn't score or to otherwise flag something going haywire. 

It would be interesting to hear what PenFed says if you decide to give them a call about it.

BTW, have you pulled your FICO 8 scores recently?  (This can be done at almost no cost.)  Be interesting to hear what those are by comparison.

The header reads "YOUR CREDIT SCORE" then there is the 999 in a circle with EXCEPTIONAL written under it, then outside the circle you have Updated 12/4/2018. Then comes a chart or sort of a graph with scores on the horizontal and months on the vertical side.

Also you have a botton that says "view more score info". Afterwards you have "Disclosures where it talks about Penfed and Fair Isaac.

I also just got off the phone with a CSR who, after keeping me on hold for like 5-10 minutes to consult a supervisor, came back saying he wasnt sure what the problem was and wasn't willing to comment further but instead asked that i shoot an email to their online team who actually manage the updates.

To be honest i agree with you that it is definitely a glitch but just decided to follow-up paradventure we might learn if they had any new updates. Obviously not

Message 5 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Credit_Flavours wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The header reads "YOUR CREDIT SCORE" then there is the 999 in a circle with EXCEPTIONAL written under it, then outside the circle you have Updated 12/4/2018. Then comes a chart or sort of a graph with scores on the horizontal and months on the vertical side.

Also you have a botton that says "view more score info". Afterwards you have "Disclosures where it talks about Penfed and Fair Isaac.

I also just got off the phone with a CSR who, after keeping me on hold for like 5-10 minutes to consult a supervisor, came back saying he wasnt sure what the problem was and wasn't willing to comment further but instead asked that i shoot an email to their online team who actually manage the updates.

To be honest i agree with you that it is definitely a glitch but just decided to follow-up paradventure we might learn if they had any new updates. Obviously not

I looked on the website and the credit score looked normal.

Then I tried it on my app, and there was no credit score option under "tools".

Then I saw there was an update available, updated it, and saw that it was a new feature, in the update, that enabled credit score.

Then I clicked it on -- hoping for a 999 Smiley Happy -- but just got my actual EQ FICO 9 score from 12/4/18, which is the same score I was getting on the website.

Total revolving limits 657200 (536700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 708

Message 6 of 13
Credit_Flavours
Regular Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Credit_Flavours wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I looked on the website and the credit score looked normal.

Then I tried it on my app, and there was no credit score option under "tools".

Then I saw there was an update available, updated it, and saw that it was a new feature, in the update, that enabled credit score.

Then I clicked it on -- hoping for a 999 Smiley Happy -- but just got my actual EQ FICO 9 score from 12/4/18, which is the same score I was getting on the website.

LOL!!! Guess a 999 won't be bad on the signature.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Credit_Flavours wrote:

Hello everyone.

I'm no expert but I believe you only get a FICO score from Penfed if you have a loan product. If all you have are deposit accounts I would just dismiss it as a glich in their software.

Message 8 of 13
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Credit_Flavours wrote:

Hello everyone.

A 999 score indicates the information entered has an error or conflict. Often this is associated with a typo of some sort (Name, incorrect SSN) or someone else having the same exact name is on file. See paste below.

999 score designation.jpg

In the case of ChexSystems, a 9999 indicates lack of sufficient data to generate a score. That model has a 100 - 899 score range. I rate a 9999 on CS which is not a big deal. Approximately 45% of the names on record are assigned a 9999 on CS.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 9 of 13
Brooklyn2018
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Credit_Flavours wrote:

Hello everyone.

I'm no expert but I believe you only get a FICO score from Penfed if you have a loan product. If all you have are deposit accounts I would just dismiss it as a glich in their software.

You also have access to a FICO score if you have an "Access America Checking Account."

Goal Score: 600(within a year)**MET MY GOAL** | Goal Score: 700**MET MY GOAL** | Goal score: 800
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

>

I❤️NY
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.