Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dispute or wait

tag
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

dispute or wait

Earlier I posted ...... "I overlooked a payment on Kohls credit card due to charges DW made without telling me.  It was reported as 30 days late giving me a 52 point drop on Ex which had finally passed the 800 point.  I talked with folks at Kohl who called be before it was about to report 60 days late.  I explained the situation and they waived the  late fees, and I paid the account in full.  They also said  that  they would ask a supervisor to do a "credit bureau reset".  I called today and was told that a "credit bureau reset"  had been done."

Since this conversation my TU lost over 40 points, EQ hasn't been affected so far.  I called again today and talked with someone with poor english ability and she stated that "reset" had been done. But I am not sure she fully understood my situation.   I checked reports earlier today and the 30 day late from Kohls is still on there.  If a "reset"  had been done shouldn't it have shown up by now.  I'm not sure what a "credit bureau reset" is in the first place.

My question is should I wait for the next statement date which is around the 20th of the month and see if the late disappears,  send a "goodwill request letter", or try and dispute.  The payment was overlooked while we were recovering from a natural disaster in the form of hurricane Florence.  I have heard nightmare stories where disputes caused further tanking of the FICO score and would be viewed adversely on future credit requests.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Caardvark
Frequent Contributor

Re: dispute or wait

• I assume any change would not be sent to the CRA until the next, normally scheduled, report is sent. I'd wait a few days after your next statement cuts and then check your reports. Of course, I couild be wrong
  • On another note: It may be worth asking them what, exactly, they mean by "credit reset." It seems as if we are all speculating what it means. It would be best to ask them directly.

Message 2 of 18
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

On your next call, ask them what they mean my a "credit reset". Presumably it means they've asked the CRAs to remove the late payment from your record.

Also, if you're impatient to get this off your credit, you can always ask Kohls to report to the credit agencies right away. Some banks, notably Chase, will report anytime you ask them to. Others aren't willing to do that but it doesn't hurt to ask!

Message 3 of 18
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

@ridgebackpilot wrote:

On your next call, ask them what they mean my a "credit reset". Presumably it means they've asked the CRAs to remove the late payment from your record.

Also, if you're impatient to get this off your credit, you can always ask Kohls to report to the credit agencies right away. Some banks, notably Chase, will report anytime you ask them to. Others aren't willing to do that but it doesn't hurt to ask!

I'm going to do that right now!

Message 4 of 18
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

Just went a round with the CSR for credit accounts at Kohl's and got nowhere she kept reading from a prepared  statement telling me that a request had been sent and I would receive a letter in 2-3 wks after telling me requests are processed within 48 hours and that the request had been made on 12/26/18.  After 20-30 minutes pointing out her contradictory statements and telling me her supervisor would tell me the same thing and basically refused to let be talk to her supervisor.  After obtaining her name,  I advised her that I would be sending a letter of complaint to the home office and point out that she refused to let me talk to her supervisor she put the supervisor on the phone.  

The supervisor came on the phone and after I advised her that charges had been made that I was unaware of and that the late payment occurred because of this and was complicated by a natural disaster hurricane Florence, the supervisor told me she was submitting a new request to have a credit bureau reset done.  She also told me a letter had been mailed from my original request but she did not know what the result was.  Evidently, there was no reset done as my scores have not changed.

She also told me she was confident that the late payment would be removed given the fact that I had never been late on the account, and that I paid the account in full when I found out there was a balance due, and that we had been exposed to hurricane Florence.  Hopefully, in a day or two I will see my scores rebound.

Message 5 of 18
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

So.....my Kohl's account has updated to a zero balance but no change in credit score.  I guess they did not remove the late payment report.  I am sending a goodwill letter to executive office in hopes of getting this removed.  If they don't,  I will be closing the account; every creditor I have offered compassion during hurricane Florence.

Message 6 of 18
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

@ecxpa wrote:

So.....my Kohl's account has updated to a zero balance but no change in credit score.  I guess they did not remove the late payment report.  I am sending a goodwill letter to executive office in hopes of getting this removed.  If they don't,  I will be closing the account; every creditor I have offered compassion during hurricane Florence.

At this point, before giving up & closing the acct, you could dispute it.

Dispute via the CBs and explain what you have here.. That Kohl's CS rep said they would remove it.

It can't hurt to try.

GOOD LUCK

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pikaboo-icu wrote:

Dispute via the CBs and explain what you have here.. That Kohl's CS rep said they would remove it.

It can't hurt to try.

Disputes are not for accurately reported information, which is what the 30 day late that the OP referenced is.  A dispute here is only likely to irritate the lender and possibly make it harder to get a GW adjustment at some point.  The OP should just explain the situation, apologize and ask for one-time forgiveness of this minor delinquency.  I also did not read above that a CS rep said that they would remove it... just that they would do a "credit bureau reset" which sounds bogus to me and could just mean a re-reporting of the account with the new [lower] balance.

Message 8 of 18
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Pikaboo-icu wrote:

It can't hurt to try.

Disputes are not for accurately reported information, which is what the 30 day late that the OP referenced is.  A dispute here is only likely to irritate the lender and possibly make it harder to get a GW adjustment at some point.  The OP should just explain the situation, apologize and ask for one-time forgiveness of this minor delinquency.  I also did not read above that a CS rep said that they would remove it... just that they would do a "credit bureau reset" which sounds bogus to me and could just mean a re-reporting of the account with the new [lower] balance.

I realize that but they are supposed to forward it to Kohls for review & verification.

That would get it in front of them to either remove (as they promised) or not. That's why I said to explain in the dispute the same things posted here. 

I would never suggest frivolous disputes but the reps said they were going to delete the lates and it hasn't been done. 

Is it possible they only meant reset their internal records? And not the CB?

Message 9 of 18
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

I sent a nice GW letter to the Kohls executive office asking them to remove the 30 day late payment due to the devastation of hurricane Florence.   If they don't then I will close the account and discourage anyone from shopping at Kohls.  If a company is not willing to work with me in a crisis I don't need to be doing business with them nor does anyone.  There was interruption in mail service, phone service, and internet service during the hurricane and after.  An oversight in this situation is certainly understandable.   The late payment was reported to TU and Experian, didn't get reported to EQ as my score there was not affected.  Currently my scores are still fairly decent with EQ 763, TU 727, and EX 744.........this late payment just pis#$% me off in these circumstances.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.